Rank Member
Rank
From Jerome Fisher a.k.a. KingGuppy […]
Show full quote

From Jerome Fisher a.k.a. KingGuppy

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks, I've been thoroughly reworking the MT-32
emulator originally written by Canadacow. The new version is much
cleaner, and has innumerable improvements and bug fixes.

This new version of of the emulator has just been committed by sev. I'd
like to be added as a developer to the ScummVM project (my username on
SF.net is kingguppy) in order to maintain it, and I'm interested in
working on other areas of ScummVM in future. I will discuss any areas
I'm interested in working on in advance.

I have many years of experience with team development - primarily using
CVS for VC and IRC/email for communication - so I know how to behave and
won't break anything. I have around 18 years of programming experience
in a wide variety of languages, and strong familiarity with a large
range of platforms.

I hope this is sufficient information; I'm regularly hanging around on
#scummvm now if you have any questions.

Regards,
Jerome

Reply 2 of 20, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dean, any chance to see this incorporated into your builds?

Here's the change log from the ScummVM CVS:

Major MT-32 emu overhaul based on KingGuppy's code.
o added configure option
o mi2 intro doesn't freeze anymore and has no sound glitches
o missing instruments in many titles are fixed
o numerous memory overwrite bugs are fixed
o code is cleaned a lot and splitted into many smaller files
o mt32.cpp went to backends/midi
o synced with upstream code
o reverberation fixed

Reply 3 of 20, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Kaminari: I did do some work with VaporWare, but Olli is the person to complain to about the lack of Voyager updates. Just don't complain too loudly or mention I sent you, because these days he's my boss at a new company 😀

The emulator integration in ScummVM is intended to be temporary; I'm starting a new SourceForge project (registration pending review). I've now got the emulation core building as a static link library, and updated DirectX/WinMM and alsa drivers wrapping it. ScummVM (and, presumably, DOSBox) will then also just link with the library.

I was waiting to post here until the project was started and the first code committed; I'll do so again when that happens.

Reply 5 of 20, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, this sounds great. I'm going to have to check it out. Ultimately the linkable library could make things even easier for writing an NT driver (if you haven't already). I'm sorry I haven't kept up with things... I've been rather busy, as usual.

Reply 6 of 20, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

canadacow - Just remember that without your fantastic work, we'd probably not have anything at all 😀 I still long for the driver but hey, as I cannot contribute (out of my field of experience) I'm happy to wait!

Reply 7 of 20, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just listened to Monkey Island 1/2 with the daily SCUMMVM Win32 snapshot. I'm impressed with improvements in the MT-32 emulator. Somehow, it has been made less noisy and the wind instruments sound better. Download here:

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe

Edit: Listening to canadacow's version again I realized that there is almost no difference in Monkey Island 1/2 between the to versions. Seems I simply expected a new version to sound better. Indeed, some off-tune problems are worsened by the new version (MI 2 intro). Still, I think it's less noisy.

Since I cannot compare games which do not run with ScummVM it's hard to tell the difference since Monkey Island sounds already very close to the orginal MT-32. Games which are far from perfect are: Wing Commander, Ultima Underworld, Civilization (just listen to the music if you are defeated - it should be from Beethoven's third symphony but in the emulator it's hardly recognizable).

Reply 8 of 20, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alkarion, thanks for the link. I just tried it out, and ScummVM seems to crash (no error message) when I boot up Monkey2 (edit: ANY MT-32 capable game) with emulated MT-32 sound. I've tried putting the patch ROM file in the same directory as the game, as ScummVM, and even adding it as an "extrapath" in ScummVM's INI.

I tried looking for answers on the project's Sourceforge forums, but didn't even see any mention of the new emulation. Any idea why it's crashing?

Reply 9 of 20, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may need other files from canadacow's emulator, too. I just copied all the syx files and patchlog.cfg into the scummvm directory. I don't know exactly which are needed.

Reply 10 of 20, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may need other files from canadacow's emulator, too. I just copied all the syx files and patchlog.cfg into the scummvm directory. I don't know exactly which are needed.

Sure enough, that was it. The files needed are:

drumpat.rom
MT32_PCM.ROM
patchlog.cfg
Preset1.syx
Preset2.syx

Also, there seems to be a long delay the first time you start up any game with MT-32 support. But everything seems to work fine after that.

Sounds really good, there are a few off-key notes here and there (listen to the intro for Fate of Atlantis) but it's still very good to see this emulation in ScummVM!

Reply 13 of 20, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm, that's odd. I didn't think it was worth reporting at that stage of development, but on my 'puter, it does a complete system freeze just after the LucasArts splash screen. Every other game supporting the MT-32 works ok. I'm using the Win32 CVS build from November 10th.

[Edit] Interesting. I went to the Audio tab and unchecked 'Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode' (which I usually keep enabled by default for every game supporting MIDI). Works like a charm now 😀

Reply 14 of 20, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I went to the Audio tab and unchecked 'Mixed AdLib/MIDI mode' (which I usually keep enabled by default for every game supporting MIDI).

Thanks, I just confirmed that problem here. I'll try to get it fixed.

Reply 16 of 20, by franckgothique

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have downloaded the mt-32 emulator, so happy I could listen to the games I so much liked 15 years ago. But I tryed everywhere to find the mt32_pcm.rom needed to install the drivr in wondows Xp. Can someone help me PLEASE! And do I need other files for it to work properly. I am willing to exchange anything I can. Thanks! franckgothique@hotmail.com

Reply 17 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Buy MT32
2. Hook up to PC.
3. Download ROM to PC.
4. Transfer ROM to DosBox folder.
5. Play game with MT32!

Sorry, we don't support distribution of MT32 ROM files, so if you want one you'll have to find it elsewhere. DON'T ASK FOR THEM HERE.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 20, by Lord Nightmare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, way to necropost, guys! reviving a 7 month old thread that should've stayed dead.

Secondly: DosFreak, you missed a few steps and got #s 2&3 wrong (theres no way to download the rom directly from the MT-32)
Here's how to dump the MT-32 roms:
1. purchase mt-32
2. open mt-32
3. desolder the PCM rom and the two control roms (and optionally the reverb rom too but munt doesn't use that yet as the encoding isn't understood)
4. hook rom dumper to PC
5. set dumper for rom type and plug rom into rom dumper
for the control roms(IC26/IC27) and the reverb rom(IC13), thats 27c256 mode
*for the PCM rom(IC37 on the 1.3 AKA revision 1 mt-32), thats TC574000/TC534000 mode
*for the PCM roms(IC12??? and IC13??? on the 1.0/1.1? AKA revision 0 mt-32, with the la32 on a mini-bga board instead of surfacemounted like on the revision 1. (the revision 0 is the one listed on the schematic that's been floating around.))
It may be 27c256 or 27c512 for each rom, I don't know as I don't own one of these yet. In fact the control roms from this version are not supported by munt yet, so if you have dumped them, send them to kingguppy!
6. dump roms to pc
7. plug roms into munt
8. profit!!!!

Lord Nightmare