VOGONS

First post, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently got hold of an MT-32. I want to connect it to the GamePort of my AWE32 to which a DreamBlaster X2 is already connected. I was wondering if there might be a conflict between the X2 and the MT-32 or are they using different address. To my understanding both could be addressed by using the standard 330 H. So, if for instance I run Monkey Island -r will actually the MT-32 play or might there be a mish-mash of both MT-32 and the X2 playing at the same time.

I wasn't able to try it out yet as I still haven't gathered all the cables necessary to connect the MT-32 to Gameport and Audio-In of the AWE32.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BlackLinus24 wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I recently got hold of an MT-32. I want to connect it to the GamePort of my AWE32 to which a DreamBlaster X2 is already connected. I was wondering if there might be a conflict between the X2 and the MT-32 or are they using different address. To my understanding both could be addressed by using the standard 330 H. So, if for instance I run Monkey Island -r will actually the MT-32 play or might there be a mish-mash of both MT-32 and the X2 playing at the same time.

I wasn't able to try it out yet as I still haven't gathered all the cables necessary to connect the MT-32 to Gameport and Audio-In of the AWE32.

Thanks!

The card will send MIDI data to both synthesizers, so you will have to mute the wavetable audio through the software mixer.

Unfortunately, IIRC this means muting Line-In, so you can't route the MT-32 audio back to the AWE32 to internally mix with PCM/OPL3 audio in this case - you would probably have to use an external mixer for the MT-32.

Someone else can probably back that up (or tell me I'm wrong, which is equally likely).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 3, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. Indeed, muting the line in seems to mute the X2 Wavetable as well. As I wanted to keep my AWE32 with the X2 on the Wavetable port I installed a second ISA sound card into my 486, a Media Vision Jazz16.

Interestingly enough, only the gameport of the AWE32 works. So, the midi signal goes from the gameport of the AWE32 to the MT-32. The audio from the MT-32 goes into the line in of the Jazz16. In order to choose between the different setups (AWE+X2 and Jazz16 + MT-32) I have created different menuitems in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat (running DOS 6.22).

That works quite well.

Reply 3 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An alternative to using a completely separate second card would probably be making your own back bracket with just a 3.5mm audio jack soldered onto a CD-ROM audio connector, which connects to your AWE32's AUX input header.

Glad you found a setup that works for you though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.