VOGONS

SourceForge.net project ("Munt")

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

KingGuppy: Are you considering making a configuration/control interface of some sort for the emulator at some point in the future? I see there's a nonfunctional driver properties/settings menu, but I think that might be left over from canadacow's code?

Oh, I had another thought too: I noticed that some other software synths I've tried, such as the MS one (included with DirectX?) and Yamaha's XG synths, are able have their volume controlled/muted by the "synth" slider of the Windows Volume Control utility. I wonder if this would be hard to do in your emulator - it would certainly be nice because then people could control the volume of it relative to wave/digitized sounds that may be playing at the same time (currently both those and the MT-32 emulator are controlled by the "wave" slider)

Those are both things that are far less important than the kinds of changes you seem to be working on now though 😀

Reply 46 of 74, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious. Has there been any plans for an ALSA driver version of Munt, in the veign of Tristan's modified release of Canadacow's driver? I'd personally be more interested in that, than I might be with just a version of it in ScummVM, as having it more independant from programs makes it much more universal (For things such as Dos Box, and some old MT32 enhanced midi files I have lying around)

Reply 51 of 74, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alkarion wrote:

Interestingly, I get the same problems as Reckless when playing back Windows Midi but in Dosbox and ScummVM everything works fine.

Just grabbed the latest SCUMMVM and ran up Day of the Tentacle with MT32 sound. WOW, it sounds great 😀

I set the game to MT32 driver and I had no problems like I'm having when running the DXDiag test (fluttery sound). Windows has still got the preferred MIDI device set as MT32.

However when I set the SCUMMVM driver to Windows, I get the same 'fluttery' sound.

This doesn't really make any sense to me?! Both provide MT32 sound but one method works better than the other?! Does this mean that the SCUMMVM internal driver is better/different to that used in the Windows driver - I thought they shared almost the same code base (for the sound processing!).

Reply 55 of 74, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, with normal I mean it sounds like the mp3 posted by reckless above, but without the CPU problems. It sounds definitely very different from the MS GS Softsynth. Also in Monkey Island, the instruments sound basically right, everything is just much too slow...

Michael

Reply 56 of 74, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried running the Monkey Island games in DOSBox or ScummVM? It could simply be a problem running it under Windows XP (unrelated to the MT-32 emulator itself).

I assume by "slow" you mean that the notes play at a slow temp, but the pitch and timbre of each individual note is correct. Is that right?

Reply 57 of 74, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, that's right. When I run it with the MS Softsynth, the sound is the right speed in MI (although the instruments are wrong, of course).

With Canadcows Dosbox (0.61) it works nicely, but then it's not using your drivers. Haven't tried with ScummVM though. Can I set the dosbox version I have (with the MT32) to just use Midi somehow (i.e., turn off the MT32 emulation), or do I have to use a new dosbox without the emulation code?

Michael

Reply 58 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't have any MT-32 emulation if you're not using Canadacow's version, so you won't have any trouble getting it to work with Munt. Just get the normal 0.63 or CVS from the sourceforge homepage.

Also, DxDiag sounds funny because it's playing a General MIDI song and the MT-32 is not General MIDI compatable (it was made before the GM/GS standard was invented AFAIK). It's just that it's the easiest way to tell if it's working or not (because everyone has DxDiag on their system).