VOGONS

SourceForge.net project ("Munt")

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 66 of 74, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is indeed the correct checksum. Did you manually point the hardware installation to the location of your MT32_CONTROL.ROM? I had to do it when I installed Munt myself, even if the correct file was placed in the same directory as the .inf file.

Reply 67 of 74, by 459

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I tried the emulator and noticed the following:

+With DosBOX the emulator seems to handle the games with "Exc. buffer overflow" problems (Utopia and Race Drivin') like a charm, something my MT-32 can't do even with a retro computer and Roland MPU-IPC-T.
+While it uses considerable amount of CPU resources it's still possible to run great amount of games with Barton@2.45GHz with only modest reduction of DosBOX cycles.
-Volume balance between different instruments (even unmodified) needs tweaking.
-Some instruments don't sound like they should. Bad reverb, wrong pitch etc.

At least I could recognize what device this emulator tries to emulate and it looks very promising. Keep up the good work! 😀

Reply 68 of 74, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you manually point the hardware installation to the location of your MT32_CONTROL.ROM? I had to do it when I installed Munt myself, even if the correct file was placed in the same directory as the .inf file.

Indeed I did, Windows installer will recognize that a file called MT32_CONTROL.ROM is there but the stupid install prompt won't take it. Then if I press "skip file", the MIDI for MT-32 Synth Emulator will appear in my Multimedia Devices tab, but it will say it is enabled but inactive due to some unknown problem. It won't appear under the midi tab in the midi output box. Is there anyway to force Windows into making it work?

Reply 69 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How exactly did you follow Alkarion's instructions? When I first read them, I ended up merging the two files together end-to-end instead of bytewise interleaving them (so of course it wouldn't work). Both of those ways of doing it would probably result in the same checksum, as would interleaving the files in the wrong order.

After installing with the "skip file" method, have you then tried putting copies of MT32_CONTROL.ROM (and MT32_PCM.ROM) in your c:\windows\system32 folder manually and rebooting? It *might* work. If not, then try installing over the top of it *again* (using the skip file method if necessary) and hopefully it will find the files already in windows\system32. Just a shot in the dark.

I don't remember if I had the problem you're describing (WinXP SP2), but I know I got it working eventually.

Another way to verify that your file is correct is to test it with SCUMMVM like oneirotekt did, since it has the Munt code built into it.

Reply 70 of 74, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing around with the ALSA driver, which I pulled out of CVS. I'm noticing, that as with Tristan/Canadacow's version, there's no way to control the samplerate at which this thing plays.

Kingguppy, have you thought of making that an option? It's almost useable on my PIII/600 as it is, but if I could downsample the emulator from 44100hz, to 32000hz, I would expect that this would work pretty snappily.

Reply 71 of 74, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How exactly did you follow Alkarion's instructions? When I first read them, I ended up merging the two files together end-to-end instead of bytewise interleaving them (so of course it wouldn't work). Both of those ways of doing it would probably result in the same checksum, as would interleaving the files in the wrong order.

I followed them exactly. WinHex says that it will interleave the two files byte by byte. I understand that the file must be created in this way.

After installing with the "skip file" method, have you then tried putting copies of MT32_CONTROL.ROM (and MT32_PCM.ROM) in your c:\windows\system32 folder manually and rebooting? It *might* work. If not, then try installing over the top of it *again* (using the skip file method if necessary) and hopefully it will find the files already in windows\system32. Just a shot in the dark.

I have done the first thing you suggest, and the driver shows no signs of working. Note that the files go into the Windows\System subdirectory, not the Windows\System32 subdirectory.

Another way to verify that your file is correct is to test it with SCUMMVM like oneirotekt did, since it has the Munt code built into it.

I have done this using my MT32_CONTROL.ROM file and it does work. Maybe the .inf file has an error in it.

Reply 72 of 74, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have done the first thing you suggest, and the driver shows no signs of working. Note that the files go into the Windows\System subdirectory, not the Windows\System32 subdirectory.

Strange, they definitely are in \windows\system32 on my system. Maybe that's where the bug is - you're using Win98 right? Maybe the INF file assumes you're using Win2K/XP and tries to put it in \windows\system32 directory, when it needs to go in \windows\system on Win9x.

I have done this using my MT32_CONTROL.ROM file and it does work. Maybe the .inf file has an error in it.

Good to know that your file is good at least. My hunch is definitely to agree with your idea that there's a bug in the install routines that prevent it from working correctly on Win9x.

Reply 73 of 74, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whilst Windows 98 does indeed accept WDM drivers, no-one suggested it would work or indeed would be painless 😀 Note that the 'shared system' directory on any 9x OS is always 'System'. System32 was introduced in WinNT and its move to 32bit code (system remained for legacy support of 16bit code).

Using my Virtual PC system running Win98 I didn't have any success with the MT32 driver. I did get it to install without error but after reboot the MT32 device didn't load "due to an unknown problem".

The inf file is very basic and, as far as I recall, doesn't include any 32bit OS specific settings.

Consider ditching your ancient OS for something a bit more recent!