VOGONS

First post, by doctoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a MT-32 (old version) which I'm unable to get working in DOS. I have it paired with an AWE64 Gold and using softmpu. I have used a couple of Phil's videos to configure the setup so I'm pretty confident that everything is set up correctly (e.g. Line in is not muted etc).

I don't see any MIDI message (SQ3, WC2) so I assume the issue is between the gameport and the MT-32 MIDI input. Other posts indicates that the cable often is the issue but I don't have another on hand right now.
Is there any meaningful test I can perform to verify the MT-32 unit while I wait for another cable to arrive?

Is there a way to diagnose the unit similar to the ROM Play function found in the later revision?

Are there any tools that can test the Gameport-MIDI connection?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you start SoftMPU does it display "SoftMPU" on the MT-32 display? If the settings are correct and the cable and MT-32 are both working, SoftMPU itself sends a message to the MT-32 when you run it.

If your Gameport-MIDI cable has both MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT cables, are you certain you have them connected to the correct MIDI IN/OUT ports on the MT-32? Try reversing them just to be sure.

You could test it by getting a USB-MIDI cable and trying it out on your Windows, etc. PC. That could help isolate the issue.

The most logical way to troubleshoot this, imo, is first to make sure the MT-32 itself is functioning. Then ensure you can get messages sent from your DOS machine to the MT-32 (activity on the MIDI MESSAGE LED). Once you get to that point, you can then worry about line in, etc.

Reply 2 of 6, by doctoren

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't recall seeing a SoftMPU message but that is useful information.

The Gameport-MIDI cable has both an IN and OUT cable. I have connected the OUT to IN on the MT-32 but will double check later and try revering them just in case.

The MT-32 didn't come with anything but the PSU, so I found a used Gameport-MIDI cable locally. I don't know for sure if it is compatible or even working. I have have attached a picture of it.

Also, I guess that I can not rule out a faulty gameport on the AWE64. I still have an old Logitech Joystick (which hopefully still works 😀) with a gameport connector, so I will try that as well.

Attachments

• midi.jpg
    Filename
    midi.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 6, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Always good to hear back with the solution. Enjoy your MT-32 and don't leave Dune out of your listening library. One of the strongest soundtracks on this module, IMO.

Reply 6 of 6, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great news! I'm glad to hear it was just a cable problem. Don't forget to boot up Secret of Monkey Island and listen to that title theme... it only uses the default MT-32 instruments, but sounds absolutely fantastic. It's my go-to track for showing the MT-32 off.