VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So...How is Munt coming these days? I see KingGuppy is still around, but no new Munt lately... Not much seems to be going on with the ScummVM-intergrated version either as far as I can tell: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/scummvm … ound/softsynth/

As for canadacow, it sounds like he's busy with other pursuits - saw a post from him in this forum wishing KG well and giving him canadacow's blessing to scavenge his code.

I still haven't figured out this dilemma either:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread … forum_id=115757

(btw, that's me that started that thread)

Reply 1 of 10, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry things have seemed a bit dead lately. I've done quite a bit of work on the emulator, but I didn't get around to cleaning it up and committing it to CVS until today. A new release will follow as soon as I find the time to fully test it.

Canadacow has also been a bit active lately. There's a change from him in my last commit, and more pending.

I don't follow the ScummVM forums (though I am notified of all tracker entries), so unfortunately I didn't see your post. Mixed adlib/MIDI mode doesn't work for some games, as I recall, but that isn't directly related to Munt. You *do* need to have mixed adlib/MIDI mode enabled to hear both music and Adlib sound effects, and I have confirmed that this works on Monkey Island 2. I thought that it also worked in FoA, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Reply 2 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that a new release of Munt, or just the ScummVM MT-32 code, or both that you're referring to?

Glad to hear that both you and CC are working to bring us more improvements in MT-32 emulation 😀

As for my ScummVM msg board thread: I think it's worded in a confusing way that makes people miss an important point: In Fate of Atlantis, if I run in DOSBox using Munt, I can hear Indy crashing through the window in the prologue/intro. If I run in ScummVM, regardless of whether I use Munt or the built-in MT-32 code, and regardless of whether or not I use mixed Adlib mode, I cannot hear the crashing sound. Someone else claims "no problems", but didn't specifically mention the crashing sound. Very confusing.

I have a theory though: before you added MT-32 emulation to ScummVM, I used to get an error in ScummVM's console window when the crashing sound was supposed to be heard. It said something about "unsupported instrument". I think maybe ScummVM might be mapping that sound to nothing as a by-product of old MT-32 to General MIDI instrument mapping code. It's a longshot I know, but maybe something to go on...

I intended to put it on the bug tracker, but I was trying to recruit people to replicate the problem first. I probably should have cross-posted to VOGONS or just put it on the tracker. Oh well...

Reply 3 of 10, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll make sure that ScummVM is up to date with the latest Munt code as soon as I've done some more testing. So I meant both.

I gave FoA a test. Using the English talkie version I was able to hear the crash using Windows MIDI, with and without mixed Adlib/MIDI mode enabled. In this version, it seems that the crashing sound is sampled in the same way as speech. Are you using a non-talkie version?

Reply 5 of 10, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've now tried the floppy version in DOSBox and ScummVM, both using Windows MIDI, with the following results:

In DOSBox, I hear the crashing sound.

In ScummVM, with or without mixed Adlib/MIDI mode enabled, I hear a piano-like sound where the crashing should be. This is with both Munt and a real CM-32L.

I think what's happening is that ScummVM should be playing an Adlib sound there, but it's somehow deciding it's a MIDI sound instead. But that's just from listening. Anyway, it's definitely a bug in ScummVM, so I think you can go ahead and file a bug report. It may well be me who eventually gets around to fixing it.

Reply 6 of 10, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just found the problem - there is in fact an MT-32 version of the sound being played, but a bug in ScummVM was preventing the sysex from being sent for that channel. After testing my fix to ensure that it doesn't break any other games, I'll commit it. No need to file a bug report.

[Edit:] Fix commited.

Reply 8 of 10, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very generic - the bug was in the iMuse implementation, and the change may well fix problems in other SCUMM games. Hopefully it doesn't break anything. Please let me know your results once the fix gets into a daily.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like it's in now:
http://www.scummvm.org/daily/

Binaries here:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#CVS

I'll post my results.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Got some MT-32 window-crashin' action going on now...

Tried it with both external Munt and the embedded code and they both work.