VOGONS

First post, by tarsonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to use munt with my onboard sound on the Gigabyte GA-K8NSNXP-939 motherboard..and it sounds very bad. Not just choppy, but also like instruments are either wrong, or missing altogether. Does it matter that I'm using the onboard sound, or should I be using a card like the sblive? (I have one, but I've been using the built-in sound when I upgraded to this system) I've tried both 0.1.1 and 0.1.2. Didn't know if the audio chip itself would make a difference here.
Thanks for any advice.

Reply 2 of 6, by tarsonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got MT32_CONTROL.ROM and MT32_PCM.ROM. Is MT32ROM a third one I'm missing? If so..that may be the case. And I do have it selected it in the multimedia control panel.

For some strange reason though, it'll sound the same way no matter which is selected (either the MT-32 or my default one which is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth). The only way to make it sound normal again is to uninstall the mt-32 from device manager.

Reply 3 of 6, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would you mind giving exact steps to reproduce the problem? Without any idea of what you're trying to play, and with what application, it's pretty hard to guess at what the problem is.

System specifications (CPU and RAM in particular) would also be useful.

The sound card you use is not important, though it may have an impact on performance.

If possible, please also give the MD5 hashes of the ROMs you're using.

Reply 4 of 6, by tarsonis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first thing I did was go through the add new hardware wizard (this is win2k sp4) and add the MT32 using the files included in munt (oemsetup.inf and mt32emu.dll) This added MT-32 in the sounds & multimedia applet. I switched it to that, and that's when midi files just started sounding weird. Is it possible some midis just weren't meant to be played with MT32 emulation, or should they all sound ok?

I'm using an Athlon 3500+ with 1GB ram.

Here is what md5 shows:

MT32_Control.ROM: 9513fec4f09a7d327748340ce3a2a59b
MT32_PCM.ROM: 89e42e386e82e0cacb4a2704a03706ca