VOGONS

First post, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some midi's with accompanied by .syx files from Quest Studios. How do I transfer these to the MUNT 0.1.2 emu? WHat free software does this? I tried Midi-OX, but halfway during the transfer it tells me the port is busy...

Thanks!

Reply 3 of 11, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Midi with embedded sysex works fine, but not with separate.

E.G. these: http://www.queststudios.com/quest/classics.html

Thexder has a very authentic PC Speaker sound (embedded) the others sound like guitars (external)

Reply 4 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah sorry, didn't notice you were specifically talking about Munt. It crashes here as well when trying to send external sysex messages to the virtual synth, whatever the program I use. Embedded sysex work ok though.

Reply 5 of 11, by Asterisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry to dig up such an ancient, ancient thread, but I actually got here via a Google search while looking for a solution to this exact problem. I've found a way to do this, so I figured I'd post my solution in case anyone else stumbled across this thread the same way I did.

My method was to actually play the midi files through DOSBox. On the Quest Studios site, there are a bunch of downloadable utilities; among them are DUMP and PLAYMID. These are both DOS programs; download them and load them up in a copy of DOSBox configured to output to Munt. Then use DUMP to send the Sysex file to the emulated MT-32; once that's done, play the file with PLAYMID (though I assume any other DOS-based midi player will work). Munt will retain the patches sent with DUMP when playing the file, since it's all coming from the same DOSBox process, and you'll hear the music with the proper instruments (and see the messages on the emulated LCD).

Reply 7 of 11, by Asterisk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SendSX works fine with Munt, but Munt instantiates a separate emulated synth for each process that connects to its driver. So you can send the sysex to Munt with SendSX, but since you must play the midi file through some other program, the midi will actually be playing in a different synth than the one you sent the sysex to. You need to upload the sysex and play the midi to the same synth, which is what using DOSBox accomplishes.

Reply 8 of 11, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting hindsight — but that's not what happens when I transfer a SysEx to the Munt driver via SendSX, then opens a MID with VanBasco. The SysEx is transmitted to Munt (whichever instance it might be) and it is definitely functional.

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 9 of 11, by marooned_on_mars

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All you need to do is to use MUNT's own midi player (in it's QT GUI), and after playing one of the midi files pin the Synth by ticking the box under the "LCD screen". Then afterwards load the .syx file before the midi files themselves, et voilà. You also get to see the fancy Channel Status =D

Reply 10 of 11, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having a pinned synth will work regardless of how the data comes to it. And I actually doubt one is able to switch this option _after_ the MIDI finished playing. Also, turning on the "Test MIDI Driver" in the "Tools" menu should open a synth tab even not playing a MIDI.
I suppose Kaminary had this option turned on so long ago that it got forgotten 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by osmanvielma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah. Great. Thank you everyone.

This is what I did to make it work.

1) Open Munt
2) Tools -> Test MIDI driver. (Then the Tab for "Synth 1" is created.)
3) Tick "Pin Synth" (below the LCD, on the "Synth" box.)
4) Tools -> "Play MIDI File..."
5) Try to play the SYX file (It would not play, but it will send the info and will apply the patch.)
6) Play the desired MIDI file. Now it will sound properly (and great) with the proper patch installed.

😊