VOGONS

ROM and RAM

Topic actions

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A MT-32 has 512KB of PCM ROM and 64KB of Control ROM. It also has 64KB of RAM for up to 128 user-created custom sound patches. This means that the data to create a custom patch would be 512 bytes per patch, unless the RAM is used for something other than patches. Where is the information for the default patches located? My first guess would be in the Control ROM, which could be copied to RAM when you power the device and can be overwritten for custom patches.

Actually, I don't believe that the MT-32 has 64 Kilobytes of RAM, because based on my reading of the manuals, although my technical ability is limited, the MT-32 doesn't need that much RAM. 64 Kilobits may be closer to the mark. A CM-500 has 32 Kilobytes of RAM, for what I can't fathom.

A CM-32L has 1MB of PCM ROM, the first half of which is the same as the MT-32's to ensure 100% compatibility. The CM-32L also has 33 sound effects samples in the rythym channel. I would guess that the second 512KB of PCM ROM is devoted solely to these samples.

Reply 1 of 1, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Custom patches (meaning custom parameters for driving the synth to make different sounding instruments) would have to be stored in RAM, so I'd guess that's what it's primarily for. Other volatile data, such as effects settings (reverb, pitch bend, channel-patch mappings, etc.) and custom LCD messages could also be stored in RAM or possibly custom registers.

I'm not sure where the default patches are located - they could be in either ROM (Canadacow or KingGuppy would know). Also, there would be no need to copy the default patch data from ROM to RAM if Roland implemented things efficiently enough (i.e. allowing the MT-32 to use data for unmodified patches directly from the ROM address area). I know this is possible from my experience with programming for the Nintendo Gameboy 😀