VOGONS

First post, by Zarhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/ has only Dosbox 0.62 with MT-32 support. Is there 0.63 version available somewhere?

Also, is the MT-32 emulator going to be included in mainline Dosbox at some point so that there is no need to hunt for the MT-32 edition? (Of course with a configuration option to allow selection between MT-32/LAPC-1 and General MIDI/SCC)

Reply 1 of 31, by twistedemotions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too would greatly appreciate it if the hooks for MT32 support were included in the mainline DOSbox.

Of course do not include the ROM's that are required for it to function, as that is a no no.

Reply 4 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Munt grew out of canadacow's emulator. Canadacow has joined forces with KingGuppy to make Munt, so canadacow's original code is no longer being developed on its own.

Reply 5 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried mt32 emulation in dosbox with the Daum bild and with this build:
http://home.amis.net/lkslavi/
but none of them work correctly.

I tried Monkey Island 1 with these Dosbox versions, and then with current ScummVM daily build and with Munt 0.1.3 driver.

In ScummVM the sound works perfectly. With the Munt 0.1.3 driver (dosbox 0.63 midi device set to win32), it still sounds good, although sometimes a bit slow.

With dosbox set to device=mt32, it sounds very strange. After the first two notes, the ambient intro sound is missing, and in general it's very different from the other versions.

I'm quite sure I have the correct roms in all the correct places.

any ideas?

Reply 7 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, impossible. The Dosbox console shows MT32 logs.

There's these two error messages:
MT32:Rhythm: Setting pan (64) not supported on rhythm
MT32:Rhythm: Setting bend (8192) not supported on rhythm

The sound is sometimes approximately right, but I think there are instruments missing...

Reply 8 of 31, by newbie_42

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Same problem here with two different CVS builds (one being from september 2005). The debug output looks like this:

MT32:>>-Space Quest 1!-<<
MT32:Sysex write to unrecognised address 52000a, len 7
MT32:Rhythm: Attempt to set program (11) on rhythm is invalid
MT32:Rhythm: Setting pan (64) not supported on rhythm
MT32:Rhythm: Setting bend (6144) not supported on rhythm

The only version I got to work is from http://www.artworxinn.com/alex but it's a bit dated (0.62)

Reply 11 of 31, by newbie_42

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Just tried dosbox 0.63 with the latest munt win32 driver (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/munt/mt32e … .3.zip?download)
and it sounds fine.

I guess the problems were related to the dosbox patch or the specific builds.

Just in case someone wonders how to do it:
1) install the munt driver as described in the readme
2) go to the sound stuff windows control panel and set the mt32 driver as the default midi device
3) set device=win32 in the midi section of dosbox.conf (might not even be required)

Reply 12 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those builds are ancient. Check the link in my signature for info on newer CVS builds, some of which have much newer MT-32 support built in.

Also, MT-32 emulation is not officially supported by DOSBox right now (it's only in unofficial CVS builds). The code is from the Munt project (also used in SCUMMVM), which is maintained by Canadacow and KingGuppy, who don't seem to be around much these days.

Reply 13 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be that as it may, the canadcow builds are the only ones ones that work for us.

I just went to the site in your sig and downloaded a CVS build from this week (top of the list) - same problem. Try running Monkey Island 1 and you'll hear what I mean (or maybe not, then I want to know why!)

Reply 14 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I guess I can't vouch for the quality of MT-32 emulation in those CVS builds, since:
1. I use a real MT-32, and
2. When I was testing MT-32 emulation in DOSBox, I was making my own CVS builds from the DOSBox and Munt source code.

You're probably best off using the driver version that newbie_42 mentioned.

Reply 15 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would love to, but those don't work for me either. The notes are correct, but the sound is a bit too slow. Either it's something with the timing, or my P4 2GHz is too slow (but that would be strange, as it isn't at 100% CPU)...

But it would be really interesting if you could try for a minute one of those new CVS builds and see whether it sounds correct for you (e.g., monkey island 1)...

Reply 16 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try to test one, but I haven't been using DOSBox much lately. Also, for Lucasarts games I'd recommend using a daily CVS snapshot build of SCUMMVM instead of DOSBox because it works a lot better and has KingGuppy's latest MT-32 emulation code built-in (sometimes even newer than the Munt CVS that is used in the DOSBox CVS builds).

Reply 17 of 31, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V0.8.0 of SCUMMVM was only released a few short days back. I use the MT32 mode for games like DOTT and this sounds OK to me. However I cannot be certain that it's 100% accurate as I never owned a real MT32 🙁

Reply 19 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm testing ykwhon's latest CVS and Scummvm CVS with Monkey Island 1 with MT32 and it sounds the same to me. Of course I'm not really the best judge of audio quality.

I also get those same errors in DosBox "MT32:Rhythm: Setting pan (64) not supported on rhythm
MT32:Rhythm: Setting bend (6144) not supported on rhythm "

I ran Scummvm in debug and those errors never came up.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline