VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those errors may not be set to log in SCUMMVM, but more likely KingGuppy has updated his code there (he says he puts his newest code into SCUMMVM first).

The Munt CVS hasn't been updated since 3 July 2005.

Reply 21 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well an I found an easy way to get rid of the errors is to use the Munt emulator instead of MT32 emulation built into DosBox.

Dunno if that actually fixes the problem or not...but it sounds the same to my untrained ears.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-12-01, 09:40. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the Munt built into ScummVM? Or the Win32 driver?

The point is that ScummVM works well for Scumm games, but not for Sierra games or others. And the Win32 driver seems to be too slow. So for me only the Dosbox is a good alternative...

Reply 23 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well figured out why MT32 kept on messing up in DosBox for me when loading up other applications....

The secondary priority when DosBox is not the focus is lower than when it is the focus (to give priority to other applications). This is worse for MT32 than other sound devices since MT32 is more resource intensive.

So set your priority line to this:

priority=higher,higher

and you should be good to go.

Reply 24 of 31, by salzrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But the problem is independent of whether dosbox has the focus or not. I always try with dosbox in focus. I already noticed that sound becomes choppy when I switch to other apps. The problem is with how it sounds...

Reply 25 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmmm, is it possible to capture sound in Scummvm? I'm guessing if not then you'll have to record using Sound Recorder in Windows and then compare that capture to a DosBox capture.

For me I cannot hear any difference and the priority problem was my only problem......(that I'm aware of). I've never heard the real MT32 version but I'm sitting here with Munt, ScummVM, and DosBox and they all sound absolutely positively the same to me.

Reply 27 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is this patch still working or should I not even try?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 28 of 31, by AndyH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just tried it, works fine here!

I adored my LAPC-1 when I was younger and actually used it for music production, so I'm very excited about all this.

I tried the combined dosbox build and had two problems with my test subject - Wing Commander I Rolling Demo

a) graphics were corrupt
b) sound not always right (random instruments firing)
c) dosbox crashes
d) wildly varying pitch!

Then I realised that build was optimsed for AthlonXP, I was running on P4.

So I tried on my AthlonXP - same result.

Now I've installed the driver and using normal 0.63 dosbox

a) graphics spot on
b) sound much much more accurate
c) no crashes
d) still get wildly varying pitch!

I'm about to start installing all my old DOS classics - I'd be more than happy to provide mp3's of anything I have.

Reply 29 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, I may not have worded it correctly, I meant if the patch still works with current CVS of both Munt and Dosbox.
Seems I should just try it and answer this myself 😀

If I understand correctly you just used the old builds and the old Dosbox 0.63/driver combo.

Oh wow, I'm such a dumbass. Of course I meant to post this in the thread with the patches in it 😀

Reply 30 of 31, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I seem to remember that even last summer when I was using it, some modifications were necessary. You should still be able to get it to work without much effort, however, as I doubt either Munt or DOSBox has significantly changed in the area of MIDI.

Reply 31 of 31, by AndyH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry Dominus, I realise now I got confused and muddled "patch" with "driver". Duh.

Anyway, I had great fun after posting yesterday installing Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China and Willy Beamish.

All sounded great - I'd say 90% accurate and no performance issues on my AthlonXP 3200.