VOGONS

First post, by Mordack’s Organ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a list or compendium of games that use reverse stereo in MIDI? Let me explain. General MIDI used left-to-right panning. This means a pan value of 0 plays sound exclusively out of the left speaker and a pan value of 127 plays exclusively out of the right. 64 is center. The MT-32 had right-to-left panning, however, and has the opposite pan values of General MIDI.

Something I’ve noticed is that there are several Sierra games where the MT-32 tracks utilize reversed stereo or left-to-right panning. Examples include: Hero’s Quest I / Quest for Glory I EGA (based on the dragon’s hands in the introduction & Baba Yaga’s cauldron), Conquests of Camelot (based on the boars in the Forest Perilous), King’s Quest I SCI (based on the disappearance of the dancing leprechauns), King’s Quest 5 (based on the music outside the town of Serenia), & Space Quest I VGA (based on the footsteps of the Sarians on the Arcada).

One Sierra game that is the opposite of the above and utilizes right-to-left panning is Quest for Glory II (based on the djinni’s hands in the introduction).

I’m sure there are other Sierra games that utilize stereo panning in a meaningful way, but I’m not aware of them. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Are there any other games that utilize stereo panning in MIDI (Sierra or non-Sierra)? What are those games and do they utilize left-to-right or right-to-left panning?