VOGONS

First post, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Sergm or anyone else,

Does anyone who knows the MT-32 or CM-32L in depth know how the pan function works?

I've been researching LA synth panning for a while now, and it's very tricky and confusing.

The CM-32L manual has this section about having 15 or 8 discrete pan positions. I can only get 8, I have no idea what or how one triggers the more in-depth pan positions. Does it only happen via SysEx?

The implication is that certain sounds use one or the other, but so far, I've not seen any regular or SysEx/custom sounds that use more than the 8. Possibly the rhythm section uses it? The manual does seem to indicate that the drum section has 15 possible positions (although doesn't use all of them).

Attached is a screenshot of the pan section from the CM-64 manual.

Screenshot_20240305-181335.png
Filename
Screenshot_20240305-181335.png
File size
185.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Spikey,

I fully agree that the description of the panpot implementation in the LA board is confusing enough. The thing is, we can configure values in range 0..14 via a SysEx when writing to the patch temp memory. However, the corresponding port of LA32 has only 3 bits, which permits 8 distinct values. I'd therefore say that we have 15 available panpot values but these will lead to only 8 distinct pan levels. The situation is the same regardless of the timbre structure: those "stereo" structures also only provide for 8 distinct pan positions for each partial in the pair.

Note, this quirk also means that there is no central pan point - we cannot create a partial that would sound in the perfect middle. Of course, many of us felt unhappy about this, and thus we tried to improve the situation a bit in mt32emu with the "nice panning" option, that extends the effective panpot range to all 15 values (see the code).

Hope that helps!