VOGONS

First post, by Grestorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought an MT-32 a couple of years back in eBay.

Since then it stopped working (LCD backlight comes on, but nothing is displayed and no sound is produced). I don't want to buy another one, so I checked out the web for an emulation and found this board.

Now, I learned that I require the original ROMs to use MUNT or any other project that is based on it. Since I have the original device, I think I'm more than legally entitled to use those ROMs.

Unfortunately, I don't have the hardware to dump those ROMs.

So now my questions. Can you tell me how I can dump ROMs? Even if I may find someone with the necessary hardware, I just don't know which ROMs to extract (how to identify them) and if I have to consider a certain prodedure, like using some dump-format or anything.

It would be easier even, if I could just prove that I own the original device (by providing some info only a legitimate owner could have for example) and someone could help me get a copy of those ROMs...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply 1 of 2, by Lord Nightmare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Grestorn: backlight comes on? but no sound when you play midi into it. hmmm... is the volume knob turned all the way to the right (maximum setting)? try turning it on, then moving the knob to the middle and then the right, and then playing midi into it, and see if you get any sound.
*If you DO, then the problem is the super-crappy 'copper-plated-with-tin' 'disconnectable' contacts which connect the LCD flatcables to the main PCB (mine gave me no shortage of trouble when reassembling my MT-32 after the roms were dumped, but I eventually got the contacts bent back enough that the display works again)
*If it STILL doesnt produce audio, then you probably should send it back to roland for repairs.
If you have (or know someone who has) the skill to find the problem yourself (an oscilloscope, or better yet a logic analyzer, helps a LOT with this part), you can try and trace the problem out. First thing I'd check is the oscillator on the 8095 MCU, be sure its working. Also look for cracked or loose traces and cracked or cold solder joints.

If you need info on dumping the roms, PM me.

Lord Nightmare

Reply 2 of 2, by Grestorn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply!

It turned out that the culprit was the PSU. I replaced it and the MT-32 started to work like charm.

I was also able to get hold of the ROMs. But even though they made a great emulator, the original still sounds better.

I'm currently replaying all my antique games... Those were the times 😀