VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there! I'm new to the VOGONS forums and I have a question in regards to DOSBox and I have DOSBox Portable 0.72 installed on the USB hard drive.

Is it possible to use physical floppies and CD-ROMs to mount media when trying to use a boot disk or install an operating system?

Just curious, because if it's not possible...I might have to find complied versions of DOSBox to do the trick.

Last edited by ppgrainbow on 2009-01-04, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently DOSBox cannot boot CD's and it's not planned for inclusion.

DOSBox is not really for running operating systems. With that said you can:

1. Create an HD image and install:

MS-DOS 6.22
Windows 3.0,3.1,3.11
Windows 95A and 95B.

Windows 95 isn't really supported in DOSBox though.

2. You can install Windows 3.x in DOSBox without having to create an HD image.

You can mount a floppy in DOSBox but some copy protection doesn't work.
You can mount CDROMS in DOSBox and they should mostly work but it's still highly recommended to use CD images. (Bin/Cue if Mixed mode CD)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the tip.

I'll have to do a search for a patch version of DOSBox, if not...I might as well try Windows 95 on either Bochs or VMWare Player. I'm hoping to get the right version of Windows 95 so that it'll work with DOSBox.

I already have OS/2 Warp 4 in which I can run under Virtual PC and it uses Windows 3.1 as a subsystem known as Win-OS/2.

Edit: I'm gonna try using the 9.28.2008 DOSBox Daum Cafe that will somehow allow you to use real floppies and CD-ROMs without having to kill the DOSBox session.

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can mount and unmount floppies and CD's in DOSBox all day but you cannot boot from them.

You also cannot mount/unmount floppies and CD's once DOSBox is booted into another operating system.
DOSBox doesn't have additions, a GUI or a console like QEMU where you can perform these functions from within another OS.

Use VirtualBox for OS/2 and VPC for Windows 9x.

Reply 4 of 6, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can run both OS/2 Warp 4 and Windows 9x under Virtual PC. I cannot run OS/2 under VirtualBox unless I enable Intel VT-x/AMD-v (hardware-assisted virtualisation) which will crash my host PC.

Since by design, I cannot mount/unmount boot floppies/CD-ROM, I can find alternative ways to get them to work.

But if I cannot get Windows 95 to work under DOSBox, I might as well do it on either Bochs or VMWare Player.

I appreciate the help, btw.

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can boot a floppy in DOSBox. That's all you can boot from though.

OS/2 doesn't work in DOSBox.

Why not run Windows 95 in VPC? I'd avoid Bochs.

Reply 6 of 6, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Virtual PC 2007 is workable under Windows 95, but you cannot use VPC2007 Virtual Machine Additions, only the VPC2004 versions would work.

It is nearly impossible to operate the CD-ROM ISOs from DOSBox even if it's not a boot CD-ROM. So...in that case, I'm gonna try running Windows 95 under Bochs first, then VMWare Player if I find that it is nearly impossible to install any operating system under Bochs.