VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by oeolycus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I searched for help on this particular problem but found none.

I have dosbox 0.70 on Ubuntu 7.04 (installed from source). I also installed Dosbox Game Launcher. Inside the dosbox shell, I cannot write a config file. I've used, per the FAQ,

config -writeconf "~/.dosbox/dosbox.conf"

and I get the error, "Can't open file ~/.dosbox/dosbox.conf"

DBGL, thankfully created its own config file, and I can run dosbox with it, but can't save any new settings. I'm new to Linux and dosbox, so maybe I made a mistake during installation? I downloaded, unpacked the tar, and followed A.I.'s guide (which seems to be down right now). Afterwards, I threw out the .tar and its extracted contents.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 8, by oeolycus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I solved my problem--sort of.

config -writeconf "dosbox.conf"

Typing this in wrote a config file to my home directory. Can't write a config to any other directory though, mounted or otherwise.

Reply 2 of 8, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Make sure you actually have the proper permission to write to those folders (you should have permission to write to your home folder and everything in it, as well as /tmp, but that's basically it). I haven't tried DOSBox on Linux, but I'm not sure what happens when you use the ~ shortcut. Try using an absolute path. (Such as /home/oeolycus/.dosbox/dosbox.conf)

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is an old Unix-tradtion to not show directory/folder entries that starts with . (dot). This prevents file-listing commands like ls(1) from listing 2 dot-names that is always present in any Unix-directory:

. = the directory itself
.. = the parent directory

Similar, user-specific configuration files like your login profile, X11 start-up files, configuration files for mail, editors, Oracle, anything, takes advantages of this do-not-show-dot-file tradition by giving their files a dot-prefix. Here is what I have in my Cygwin home directory:

.                .bash_logout  .emacs.d  .lynxrc    .texmf         .wgetrc
.. .checkstyle .forward .mc .tnsnames.ora
.aliases .completions .fvwm .ncftp .twmrc
.ant.properties .cvsignore .gnupg .profile+ .vim
.bash_history .cvspass .gvimrc .rnd .viminfo
.bash_login .cvsrc .inputrc .ssh .vimrc

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 8, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing I'm happy about, and I should have typed "man dosbox" before...

I renamed the dosbox.conf in my home folder to .dosboxrc

DOSBox loads its setting from there, no longer will my linux boxen have a dosbox.conf floating in home... 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yup! DOSBox is a good Unix-citizen 😀 Btw. the rc-part is short for run-commands.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions