VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by guesst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's s wierd, I just can't figure it out. A brain fever sent me on a mission to finally complete the collection that started with Treasure MathStorm, Treasure Mountain, Outnumbered! and Midnight Rescue. So after a few years of eBay-ing and other avenues I managed to get my hands on the entire colection of the original Super Solver games and their CD-Rom updated versions. For the updated version I haven't had to do anything, they run fine. But many of the original DOS games wanted to be fooled. Thank you DOSBox.

Now, I won't lie, I plan to share these with the abandonware community, but before I do I want to get them running, and three of them are giving me problems. Challenge of the Ancient Empires doesn't respond to up or down arrows in menus and neither is Treasure Cove, although that one lets me use the mouse. And Gizmos and Gadgets gives an error that won't even let the game start. It says you need a VGA adapter.

Most of these problems can be overcome by running them nativly in XP which indicates to me for the first two that the program is using some bastard form of keyboard recognition on it's menues. But running in XP usually presents problems of it's own. I'd prefer to get them all running under DOSBox. You know, a sort of 1 stop shop.

Okay, here's the stuff you want to know. I'm running DOSBox 7.0 on two computers, my 1.2 gig desktop with 1 gig ram and my 1.3 gig laptop with 700meg ram. My options are (I think) reset to the defaults. I experimented, naturally, but put them back afterwords. Nothing seemed to fix it. Any ideas from the community?

Reply 1 of 1, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for gizmo's check a cvs build from http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/dosbox.htm
There was a fix that might influence the (s)vga detection.

ancient empires only likes the menu keys if you have numlock off.
Not sure if it's design by the game or a bug in dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!