VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm having the terrible feeling here that this has been asked a million times before, but somehow I can't find any info on it either on this forum or through Google. I'm also having a hard time believing that this isn't fixable. So maybe you could go easy on me and at least point me in the right direction? 😀 Thanks.

Old DOS games often ran at 640x400. However, it seems that my TFT screen doesn't do that resolution. Instead, I get 640x480 with two black bars on top and bottom. Is there a way to scale the image to 640x480 so I can get full screen?

I only found the following, which is far from perfect as I'd need a CRT screen apparently:

(if you have black stripes at the top and the bottom of the screen go to your display driver settings and change refresh rate for these two resolutions: 320x200 and 640x400. ("60Hz" and "default" is bad so set something else: "70Hz" or "75Hz" or higher). If you have a LCD (thin) monitor, connect a CRT (normal/big) monitor for a while, change refresh settings, make sure they work correctly, and connect your LCD monitor back.)

If you can help, that'd be awesome! And sorry if it's been asked many times before in the past. 🙁

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> Is there a way to scale the image to 640x480 so I can get full screen?

You don't want to do that, do you? You want to scale the image so it fits your screen resolution, right?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, obviously. 😀 But I'm supposing that my screen is in 640x480 and DOSBox projects the 640x400 graphics on my screen, filling the top and bottom with black bars. Right? What am I misunderstanding?

I've seen parameters for scaling in the config, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You are right as long as you are talking about true fullscreen mode in DOSBox. But if that doesn't work (as in your case), you need to run DOSBox in windowed mode, and use the windowsresolution parameter to scale the window up in size, preferably up to the full resolution of your screen.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, okay. I got that. But for some strange reason, 1200x1024 (my native and desktop resolution) isn't full-screen. The window is bigger, but fits nicely onto my desktop and I don't understand why. If I make it something like 1250x1050, it'll fit better, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Also, is it possible to get this to run without a titlebar and taskbar at all? I'm not getting optimal results yet.

Thanks for your help!