VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I couldn't find a thorough manual for DOSBox, really. I mean, there is plenty of information and the config file documents itself, but does for instance make no mention of cycles=max (which did wonders for a few games!) I'm also pleased to have discovered Win32a, but that's outside of DOSBox's scope. 😀

So, I saw that there's a cycles=auto, too. What's the difference then? See, stuff like that. I like to tinker. 😀

One last thing, then: why is cycles=max not standard? It seems to give the best results. Is it compatibility/stability issues?

Reply 1 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When cycles=auto, it defaults to 3000 cycles for those less demanding 8086/80286 games and switches automatically to higher values (maybe also switching core to dynamic) when a 386 protected mode program is detected.

NB - You can also use a percentage value after the max statement, thus allowing you to fine tune cpu usage.

E.g. cycles=max 80%

would try to use up to 80% of cpu power.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 2, by Thaurin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I got that. For now, just max will do just fine. Mouse cursor movement in Toonstruck's main menu is very smooth now, as it is everywhere else! Now, if only Pandora Directive would run entirely smoothly... not that it's not entirely playable. 😀