VOGONS

Common searches

DosBox under Vista

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Markito

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I have read in a few posts that it is possible to run DosBox under Vista, but there are no specific instructions to be found.

I just installed DosBox and when I try to run it, a DOS window appears saying

CONFIG: Loading primary settings from config file C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\dosbox.conf

Then Windows informs me of an error

DosBox has stopped working

How can I fix this. I need a fix of the old Dune 😒

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It should just work - no need for special instructions.

Sounds like a problem with your graphics drivers. Try searching the forums here for "SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib".

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a contender for my personal "The strangest and most useless VOGONS posts 2007"-award.

There's no such thing as a "3D part of my videocard". Nowadays, all major functions of modern video adapters are implemented on one IC. Either the card works correctly (=the IC is OK), or it doesn't (=the IC is not OK). There's also some more additional potential for broken components on the card, but i won't go into details here.

If your card is broken, you should have mentioned that in your original post. One person actually wasted time answering to a problem that didn't exist in the form you described it in your original post. If the card is broken, then there's a high probability that you will have multiple problems, both in 3D (gaming) _and_ 2D (OS, applications, etc.). Assuming that DOSBox will run OK on a broken card, just because it's a "2D application" (which it isn't) is just very, very silly. Your answer to MiniMax' post implies that you knew there's something wrong with your hardware before you posted the original question.

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

*** LOCKED ***

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions