VOGONS

Dosbox linux problem

Topic actions

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all 😀 Sorry to bother you with this problem, but you are my last hope, as I didn't find the answer in ubuntu forums... 🙁

I am having problems running dosbox 0.70 on Ubuntu Feisty fawn 7.04. First, I installed SDL with the Synaptic PM, then I installed dosbox using this guide:
http://gaming.gwos.org/e107_plugins/content/c … .php?content.39
I compiled it and then started it, but it crashed with:

Exit to error: Can't init SDL No available video device

I tried allmost everything - reinstalling SDL, reinstalling dosbox, adding some other packages that had SDL in them, tried editing dosbox config file (modifying SDL options) - still nothing.

Then I deleted every trace of dosbox 0.70 and installed 0.65-1 with apt-get install dosbox --reinstall , and it worked! I tried again to install 0.70 but without success. Is there any hope that I can run the new version of dosbox in Ubuntu?

Thanks!

Details:

Laptop Prestigio Nobile 156, Centrino 1.4Ghz 1MB cache, 1GB DDR333, ATI mobility Radeon 9600 w 64MB intern RAM, AC'97 audio with ALSA;
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
Reproducibility of problem: every time I start dosbox 0.70
Video mode: GNOME, with opensource ATI drivers, beryl manager with AIGLX in 1400x1050
# Version of emulator: DOSBox, 0.70

I am a pretty old DOSBox user (since ver 0.58 ) and I never had any problems until now. I read FAQ and Readme.txt, but I found nothing that could help. Any help is deeply appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it is probably an sdl problem
did you use the ubuntu sdl package ?
libsdl-dev or so ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here, I am using these SDL packages. The other three packages that are not shown are libsdl-stretch-dev version 0.2.3-7, libsdlttf2.0-0 version 2.0.8-3build1 and libsdlttf2.0-dev version 2.0.8-3build1.

I think I installed every single possible option that had any (meaningful) SDL in it, and it still doesn't work 🙁

Reply 3 of 5, by ]--Freeman--[

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you compiled DosBox 0.70 or have you downloaded a binary??
I have DosBox 0.70 in Ubuntu Feisty and I don't have any problem. But, I compiled it from source files.

Reply 4 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have downloaded the source files and compiled it, since I found no binary files for Debian (Ubuntu). 😒

Reply 5 of 5, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBOX 0.70 showed up in backports sometime in the last couple days, if not today. Synaptic on my Ubuntu Feisty install picked it up and upgrade my 0.65 to 0.70. Woohoo! 😁

-Robert