VOGONS

Common searches

Using DOSBox on a new iMac

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my new iMac, with .72 now installed, I'm happy to report that I was able to get the dailer working with Telemagic, my contact manager application. This was done with the help of Rolf, who graciously suggested the following lines be put in the file DOSBox Preferences, located under
"/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences":

[serial]
serial1=directserial realport:cu.usbmodem

I have one remaining issue that I'm trying hard to solve: My application uses the F10 key all the time. And on the iMac, with System Preferences for the Keyboard and Mouse set so that the box is checked for the Function Keys to act as "standard keys", all the keys F1 through F9 work properly, but F10 does not. F10 dims the screen instead. In order to get the F10 key to work as the F10 key, the Command key must be held down at the same time. Anyone have any suggestions for correcting this?

Hal

Reply 42 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had some trouble trying to use the mapper, because the iMac keyboard has a COMMAND key which is used in combination with may other keys, and there does not seem to be a COMMAND key on the mapper keyboard.
Indeed, in DOSBox, to even get the mapper to come up, CTRL-F1 did not work -- I had to press the COMMAND key at the same time. And when I'm trying to get the F10 key to work in DOSBox, I have to press the COMMAND key and F10 at the same time.
Using the mapper, how can I make the F10 key in DOSBox act like a COMMAND-F10 for the Apple iMac?
Hal

Reply 43 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hal,

Did you really set the correct switch in the keyboard control panel (s. my screenshot)?

Best regards

Rolf

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Filename
    Bild 1.png
    File size
    48.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 44 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IIGS_User im Klimawandel!

You have to find out the device name of your modem. For this open as an admin user the Terminal.app and enter the following:

ls -l /dev/cu*

This will list all devices (3 or 4) which starts with cu. Change the device name to cu.something in the serial setup in your DOSBox preferences and then test the setting.

You need to restart DOSBox after each change in the preferences.

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 45 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rolf,
Yep, I do have that box checked, and the function keys work fine for F1 through F9, but for F10 to work I still need to hold down the COMMAND key when I press F10, which is a pain when done a hundred times a day.
Hal

Reply 46 of 52, by InstantWare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have also a look in the Dashbord & Exposé Settings, those also used to occupy F-Keys.

The mapper as suggested by wd helps only to map F10 to another function key. For example you can map F6 to have the function of F10 within dosbox.

This would be of course only useful for you if there is an unused or seldom used F-Key in your program, which you can then use instead of F10.

Best regards

Rolf

Reply 47 of 52, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can arbitrarily remap keys. First of all see the respective section
in the readme.
For example click the F10 button in the mapper, then ADD, then some
key (or joystick button for the crazy ones).

Reply 48 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SUCCESS! Using Rolf's brilliant idea of just assigning another key on the keyboard to use, it worked. I just made another key do the functionality of F10. This got around my inability in mapper to use the Mac COMMAND key as a modifier, which seemed necessary to get the F10 to actually function as an F10. Thanks Rolf, for your insight; and thanks wd for pointing me in the right direction so that I could set up mapper.
Hal

Reply 49 of 52, by hsegal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone know how to paste text within a DOSBox window? With my contact manager application running in a DOS window in Windows, I was able to do this by clicking on the program icon on the header bar at the top of the window and a drop-down menu would have the PASTE function listed. With the DOSBox window, the header bar at the top does not show the program icon, and there is apparently no similar drop-down menu. The DOS program never did accept Control-V so that does not work. I'm happy to say that this function is not essential to my use of the program, but it would be handy and save a lot of time retyping data that could be easily copied from another source on the computer.
Hal

Reply 50 of 52, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think there is thread somewhere here that does this for dosbox. but standard dosbox doesn't support this

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 51 of 52, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
InstantWare wrote:
You have to find out the device name of your modem. For this open as an admin user the Terminal.app and enter the following: […]
Show full quote

You have to find out the device name of your modem. For this open as an admin user the Terminal.app and enter the following:

ls -l /dev/cu*

This will list all devices (3 or 4) which starts with cu. Change the device name to cu.something in the serial setup in your DOSBox preferences and then test the setting.

Thank you, that is what the Terminal replies on my Mac:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 9, 5 Aug 31 18:53 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 9, 3 Aug 31 18:53 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 9, 1 Aug 31 18:53 /dev/cu.modem

According to my screenshot on the prev page it adds just a "/dev/cu." before the name, what simple.

Thank you again, flowers for you!

Klimawandel.