Boot DOS and read CD?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Qbix wrote:

are you sure that that one call doesn't result in more tests being done ?

I'm pretty sure that call is the entire issue, as I wrote a little TSR that modifies the return value of 21/4408 to always be 1 (fixed) as long as there was no error returned (invalid drive or such), and it cures the install program's problem.

Actually, there is sort of an additional test that's done: on any drive that is considered fixed, it tries to open the file \t7g\install\hdisk.gjd, and if the file is found then that drive is used as the source drive. But because a CD drive is being considered removable, it doesn't even look on it for that file.

BTW, it just occured to me that Graeme Devine, the developer, used his initials for the data files. 😀

Reply 42 of 53, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have stepped through the code and observed what it is doing; the TSR was just a confirmation for what I learned. I don't seem to be succeeding at overcoming your skepticism; however, you can use the information I gave you to reproduce the problem for yourself.

Reply 43 of 53, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I don't have this game. So I can't confirm your findings.
But basicly this would mean that if you are right then this game wouldn't install on a real dos pc as well. As that returns removable for a cdrom.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 44 of 53, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I wonder if all versions of DOS handle it the same. I find it interesting that the WinXP NTVDM considers CD drives as fixed... not that it's the model for proper DOS operation, but it demonstrates some inconsistency.

The problematic installer is dated in the Summer of '93, and MS-DOS 6.0 came out in Spring of '93, so 5 and possibly that earliest version of 6 would be the ideal versions to test.

Reply 45 of 53, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dos 5 and 6 most likely report the same. they aren't that different in the interrupt handler. think 6 just had a lot more utilities. no changed functionality.
(I suspect wd to have used 6.x for testing it with mscdex)

ntvdm is really totally useless when it comes to dos games.

I think your "fix" bypasses the real problem. So the fix is useful for someone who wants to play it (like the fall.exe z.cfg), but it doesn't fix the bug in dosbox. (for daggerfall a small bug in how the cdrom label was returned)

But maybe wd can test it with 5.0 as well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 52 of 53, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ah, so I guess 21/4408 is the culprit, then, if for different reasons than the fixed/removable issue.

Perhaps there are other IOCTL functions that should generate an error for CD drives in DOSBox as well?