Common searches

D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Beta testing:

1.Running Scumm profile from tray icon starts it as usual default DOSBox.

2.There is no Base and Game Data Folder settings. Intentionally?
I've unziped DFR in separate folder and ran it in portable mode. After the first run in dfend.ini this paths appeared in full form (with drive and dirs).
Not very portable.

3. Maybe you can do main setup form resizable. In present view we have controls/texts not fitted both in tree and in right panel. And if tree has scrollbars, panel has not.

And again about translation. W have old texts not fitted in new controls (e.g. 'Restore default values' moved from hint to button)
I may try to reword them, if possible. Or I may send you list of them.
Or do both.
What way do you prefer?

Reply 201 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi skatz,

skatz wrote:

1.Running Scumm profile from tray icon starts it as usual default DOSBox.

I can confirm this bug, it will be fixed in Beta 2.

skatz wrote:

I do not understand your question; where are this settings missing ? You can define all three folders (base directory, games directory and game data directory) on the "Directories" page in the setup dialog. Ok, the first run wizard is not asking the user for the games and the games data folders. But the first run wizard already has enough pages, I do not wanted to make it unnecessary complex.

skatz wrote:

I've unziped DFR in separate folder and ran it in portable mode. After the first run in dfend.ini this paths appeared in full form (with drive and dirs).
Not very portable.

Have you looked at the dfend.ini while D-Fend Reloaded was running or while it was closed ? If D-Fend Reloaded is closed, the paths should be relative in portable mode.

Background: To make the handling of paths easier for me, the following directory should always be absolute in the program: base, games, games data, DOSBox, ScummVM, QBasic. ("should always be absolute" means D-Fend Reloaded is not checking if they are relative and directly trys to access files in this directories.) To make D-Fend Reloaded portable, the program configuration class is making the directories absolute at program start and again relative (to the program directory) at program end.

BTW D-Fend Reloaded is working in this way since ever. So the portable mode should work.

skatz wrote:

3. Maybe you can do main setup form resizable.

Yes, no problem.

skatz wrote:
And again about translation. W have old texts not fitted in new controls (e.g. 'Restore default values' moved from hint to butto […]
Show full quote

And again about translation. W have old texts not fitted in new controls (e.g. 'Restore default values' moved from hint to button)
I may try to reword them, if possible. Or I may send you list of them.
Or do both.
What way do you prefer?

If you tell me which buttons are to small of course I will try to make them larger. Now we have more pages in the setup dialog so there is more space and so making buttons larger should be easier for me. But of course there are still some limitations. So I think the best would be to find a tradeoff between making buttons bigger and making texts shorter.

But please, do not start translating now: There are already new strings in my internal version since Beta 1. Beta 2 will be string complete and also include a list of all new, changed and removed language strings. I will try to release Beta 2 in 1-2 weeks.

Greetings
Alexander

Reply 202 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:
skatz wrote:

I do not understand your question; where are this settings missing ? You can define all three folders (base directory, games directory and game data directory) on the "Directories" page in the setup dialog.

Oh! I do not understand myself also. Tree list in setup window is always scrolled down, and I have not seen first two lines. Maybe it would be better to scroll it to first line on window open.

Alexander wrote:

Have you looked at the dfend.ini while D-Fend Reloaded was running or while it was closed ? If D-Fend Reloaded is closed, the paths should be relative in portable mode. ?

You are right.

Alexander wrote:

But please, do not start translating now

Yes, that is understandable.
BTW. while labels in all foms are autosizable. checkboxes are not. Maybe you may set them (where it is possible) as wide as window width allows.
It may produce too wide focus rectangles, but I think it is better than truncated captions.

About profile adding wizard: what is 'default wizard template' and where it may be changed?

BTW2, I have a great slowdown when using DODBox overlay render. That is not your fault, of course. But you choose it as default setting, and changing this in almost hundred templates is too timely. Maybe you can add muliple templates editing feature. If not in current version, than in subsequent one.

WBR!

Reply 205 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have russian DOSBox language file as default. When I want to run game which needs an original character set (e.g. ZZT) i may change keyboard layout, but all DOSBox message are shown wrong way.
To change global DOSBox setting is not very good idea, so I put in custom settings

[dosbox]
language=

It works, but maybe it would be reasonable to add 'profile DOSBox language' setting (with default/global option).

Reply 206 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skatz wrote:
Neville wrote:

skatz, check out this option: on the "Extras" menu, "Edit multiple profiles".

Templates, not profiles!

Use the templates, then use the "edit multiple profiles" option to edit the the new profiles.

As for the different keyboard layouts, I'm sticking to the default US layout in my Spanish translation of DFR. It *may* cause problems with some Spanish text adventures (not many words use "ñ" anyway), but using the Spanish layout by default means trouble with many MicroProse sims, which needed the US layout to be loaded, otherwise some vital controls don't work.

Reply 207 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skatz wrote:

It works, but maybe it would be reasonable to add 'profile DOSBox language' setting (with default/global option).

Of course I can make the DOSBox language configurateable per profile, but is this really what you need ? The used codepage is already per profile configurateable. (The same way as the keyboard layout, meaning there is a predefined codepage per language file which will be used if the profile codepage is set to "default" and otherwise the codepage from the profile is taken.) I don't know how the DOSBox language file would influence the DOSBox character set. So I think what you want is changing the codepage and this is already possible.

Making the multi profile editor also available for templates is a good idea but probably to late for the 0.4.0 release. I've just added it to my already opened 0.5.0 todo list.

Reply 208 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neville wrote:

It *may* cause problems with some Spanish text adventures (not many words use "ñ" anyway)

In Russian it includes ALL letters, not a couple of them.

Reply 209 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alexander wrote:

Of course I can make the DOSBox language configurateable per profile, but is this really what you need ?

I think so.
DOSBox prints its messages from lng file using current code page. If most of used characters are from extented ASCII (80-FF) then all messages become unreadable with wrong code page.
As I've already said the simple solution for now is to override it in profile 'Custom settings' section.
Or another solution - always use english language file.

I dislike both of them, 'cause they are not beautiful. But it is your kingdom and your right.

Reply 210 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To reply to some forgotten things:

• The checkboxes cannot be auto sized, so I made them nearly as wide as the corresponding dialogs and marked them to grow with the containing window (in case I make a dialog larger in the future or make it user resizeable). If any checkbox is still to small, just tell me. Than I can make the dialog wider and make the checkbox really as wide as the dialog.
  • The setup dialog is resizeable now.
  • When opening the setup dialog the first record from the tree on the left side is selected and the tree is scrolled to the top.
  • Per profile DOSBox language is on my todo for DFR 0.5.0.
  • Perhaps the multiple template editor will be ready in Beta 2. (I only need to replace the window title and find a menu position to start it from. Perhaps next to the multi profile editor menu item or from within the template editor.)

At the moment I'm working on some improvments on the icon management. (In Beta 2 you will be able to choose profile icons from the icon library or - new - from any other folder. If you take a icon file from within the games folder for example the path is made relative and the icon can be included in installer packages.)

Reply 212 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I have just finished the second beta version of D-Fend Reloaded 0.4.0. This version is string complete and ready for translation. You can find it here:

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/BetaDownload.html

Reply 214 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

because this version is ready for translation, of course I have made a list of updated and added strings. On the beta download page there is a link "Language files and translation information" leading to a zip file containing

• all language files (all new strings with English default translations already added)
  • info file with a list of all changed things
  • installer language files (because there are also a few new things)
  • Readme file.

Reply 215 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm almost done with the Spanish translation. I just wanted to mention a couple of minor issues I've come through:

1) Untranslated strings:

"Explorer", in all versions of the add new profile wizard. I ehould be able to change it into "Explorar", but the string is not listen in the LANG file.

Same happens with a German sentence found in the second screen of the ScummVM wizard.

2) And second, I'm having some trouble fitting all the text into the dialog boxes:

dfrtj2.png

So far I've avoided this by "creative translating", but I think I'm not the first translator to have issues. Is there a simple solution or should I keep trying to shorten my strings?

BTW, that screen is the one where you're asked wether to use auto-setup templates or not. It's not definitive, I'm not happy with some of the wording shown there.

Reply 216 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, Alexander!
About translation:
You have forgotten to change in LANGNAME_NeedAdminRightsUpdate USB ->portable).

And I need advice about following

[LanguageFileInfo]
LocalLanguageName=English
(Name of the language not in English like "Deutsch" instead of "German"; but use only characters available in all charsets)

Should I translate it or not? In present beta I see lines 'Fran3ais' and 'Espacol'. I am afraid to think what you will see in line 'Русский' under German locale. Maybe you may change order for English-name(national-name), so the first part of string will always be readable. Or use charset from lng-file for combobox drawing. Or drop this line at all.
For now I choose to left it in english.

Reply 217 of 2280, by Alexander

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

1) Untranslated strings:

"Explorer", in all versions of the add new profile wizard. I ehould be able to change it into "Explorar", but the string is not listen in the LANG file.

Until now I thought the Explorer is called "Explorer" in any language (just like "Windows" is called "Windows"). I have added a string to the language file. As the last line of the [WizardForm] section there is a line
Explorer=Explorer
where you can change the name of the "Explorer" buttons. (@Neville: I have already added a "Explorer=Explorar" line to your language file. @All other translators: You can add this line if you want to have a custom translation for "Explorer". If you do not add a line for the Explorer buttons, I will add "Explorer=Explorer".)

Neville wrote:

Same happens with a German sentence found in the second screen of the ScummVM wizard.

Not to have to change the language file again, I will use the "ScummVM.Game=..." string from the [ProfileEditorForm] section. So no new string is needed.

Neville wrote:

2) And second, I'm having some trouble fitting all the text into the dialog boxes:

I have changed the width of the window from 560 pixels to 650. (Making it wider than 650 pixels does not look good.) Additionally I have also made the CPU power dropdown box wider and moved it a bit to the right.

In general I will try to make things (buttons, windows, checkboxes) wider if its possible. But some languages have very short texts (in particular English) so I have to find a balance between making things big enough for some languages but not making it looking like something is missing in other languages.

BTW Just today I have fixed a "since 0.1.0" but in the ipx support: The main switch setting is not repesented in the DOSBox conf file (the [ipx] section is missing). Additionally I still have some problems with the auto-guessing of the drive geometry of image files.

Reply 218 of 2280, by skatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, Alexander!

# This ScummVM configuration file was automatically created by D-Fend Reloaded.

This is an auto text from temporary DOSBox config. And SCUMM config has 'DOSBox' text.
BTW, why do you call scummvm inis 'configuration file' in 'Run' menu and 'ini file' in 'Profile'?

Finalization.SaveTitle is mapped to some 'Network' string and become rewritten after dfend launching.

Last edited by skatz on 2008-04-21, 22:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 219 of 2280, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alexander, thanks for the answers. Actually "Explorer" is "Explorador" in my language, but for some reason all programmers call that function "Explorar" (Explore).

As for the size of the dialog box, it's a welcome fix, but I finally found a way to shorten those particular strings. Stuff like that can get a bit out of hand in my mother tongue, sometimes we need short sentences for stuff that only requires a word in English or German.