VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deeped

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there,

Im thinking of recording (or ripping) OPL music from games, and as I see, DosBOX can grab the IO events if I think it right. I still have SB PRO 2 so I can compare the original and the DOSBOX's musics.

I dont know if anybody opened a topic about it. .DRO files excatly stores the IO events? (tipically what datas was sent to 388h/389h address etc). DosBox's sound emulation isnt 100% sometimes I can hear it (some instruments missing) - but its not problem, when I have all logged IO events. But when I wanted to play it back with ADplug - those insturments are still missing! It shouldnt when all IO events was recorded should it?

And in addition, is there any way to play back those files under pure DOS with SB PRO 2?

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i thought adplug could be configured to use your own soundblaster and not use their emulation.

DOSBox records all IO events so there shouldn't be any missing instruments.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

i thought adplug could be configured to use your own soundblaster and not use their emulation.

This is true. It has an option for native OPL passthrough
For Windows XP you'll need to install a port talking driver or service for this. Midi-OX's site may have some iirc.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by deeped

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well yes yes - it was my mistake, the games cheated me 😀 (this is hard to explaing right here but it was a misdirection)

In the meantime I wrote my mini DRO player in C and Pascal. If you guys have some time pls check my code wheter its right or not

Attachments

• Filename
    DROPLAYER.ZIP
    File size
    3.43 KiB
    Downloads
    178 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The OPL2 and 3 (the chips used in Adlib and various SB cards) emulation was borrowed from the MAME project. It was written by Tatsuyuki Satô and improved by Jarek Burczynski, by reverse engineering the chips.

Reply 7 of 7, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget that sometimes (depending on the song) the OPL capture doesn't begin early enough and misses some notes from the start of the song. I posted a patch a while ago that fixes this problem, but I don't think it ever got incorporated into the code. You'll probably want to use this patch if you want to make sure you capture everything (and yes I can confirm that it does capture everything, even invalid codes that some games send to the OPL chip.)