VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tomgarber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gentlemen,

I really love Dos-Box! I hope youi can help me get Visual Composer working. I tried to find all the information you need about my computer. Here's what I have:

Computer model: Dell XPS DXP051 (dual core)
Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) D 3.20 GHz
RAM: 3.19 GHZ 1 GB
Audio: Creative Audiology Processor (WDM)
Operating System: Windos XP Professional Service Pack 2

If there's other information you need about the computer, maybe you could tell me where to search to find it. This was what I found in Control Panel.
I'm running the Visual Composer program by Ad-lib. I think it tries to emulate a Hercules graphics card and a Soundblaster sound card. I'm using version 0.72 of Dos Box.
The problem is that when it plays the music, about every 5 seconds it skips a quarter of a beat and makes an extraneous sound that is not part of the music. This happens all the time. I tried to fix it by altering the values for Frameskip using the PF keys, but this just made the problem worse. I was able to play the songs correctly in a program called Audio Overload, but the quality of the sound was poor. I tried altering the properties of the exe file to open with Windows 98, but it doesn't play anything. I also tried a program called TameDos, and it also doesn't play anything.
If you like, I can send you the files for the program and the songs I'm trying to play as attachments. They aren't that big.
I'll be happy to send you a donation in return for your help with this problem. Also, you can enjoy all the songs composed by me and my friends.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
- Tom Garber

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have Visual Composer (COMPOS1.EXE) and the sound driver (SOUND.COM) both v1.51 that came with the Adlib card, and don't get any hiccups or extraneous sounds during playback in DOSBox 0.72, even with ROL files that use lots of instruments. Do you get the same thing with Adlib's Jukebox program? Using normal core in DOSBox, it only acts up if I push the cycles below 200 or above 20k, so it doesn't seem particularly sensitive to it. Both VC and the Jukebox don't really do much for playback except fill the sound driver's buffer. Do you get similar problems with Adlib music in games? If you have problems other than with just VC, background applications in Windows or faulty sound drivers could be a cause.

Reply 2 of 4, by tomgarber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Ripsaw8080,
Thank you very much for responding to my note. I tried changing the core setting from auto to normal and I think it helped a little. Then I changed the blocksize from 2048 to 4096, 8192, and 16384. Above 4096 the problem got worse, so I changed it back to 4096. It's a little better than it was now.
If I play in Jukebvox instead of Visual Composer it waits twice as long before the skip, but it still happens. I also tried disabling my Stopsign antivirus software, and that didn't help.
I don't have any other programs I'm running in Dosbox. Do you think the blocksize should be set at some other value? What about some of the other settings?
The songs I'm trying to play are rather complicated. I'm sending you one of them as an attachment. That way, if you like, you can try to play it and see if it's okay.
I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.
- Tom Garber

Reply 3 of 4, by tomgarber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Ripsaw8080,
Thank you again. I'm very pleased to say that I managed to get the songs to play correctly by changing the prebuffer parameter to 80.
Thank you once again for all your help. These songs were created as a cooperative effort between me and a friend of mine who now does FX work in Hollywood. We wrote them 20 years ago, and are now saving tham on a CD.
My friend will be extremely happy with your help, as I am. Thanks again!

- Tom Garber

(P.S. - I hope you like the song. It's called Island Beauty.

Reply 4 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

With the core set to auto, that should be using normal core because the Adlib programs are not protected mode applications. Anyway, it's good you figured out a solution. I've never had to change the default prebuffer and blocksize settings for my computer system, but others have needed to.

It's not a big deal, but it seems your attachment didn't work. I believe the message board is a bit particular about what kinds of files you can attach, but putting stuff in a zip file is a reliable way to make it acceptable.