VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CaptainKidd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running DOSBox from a portable installation available from PortableApps.com. (DOSBox Portable) I read the instructions on how to mount a folder automatically using the command in the [autoexec] section of the dosbox.conf file. However, a computer can assign any drive letter it wants to the device, so it is usually different each time the device (USB flash drive) is inserted.

I tried using %~d for the drive letter (as per batch files), but that didn't work.

It would be awesome to have the path be from whatever drive DOSBox is in to avoid having to type the mount command every time. It's a small thing, I admit, but it would be very helpful to the portable application community. The right way could replace the wrong information on the PortableApps.com website.

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

use the normal dosbox instalation. just copy over the files. It is portable by itself

mount c "."

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by CaptainKidd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I may do that next time around.

I got relative paths to work... I use: mount c ..\..\..\..

Just wondering if there was a way to automatically do it if the games are on a drive with changing drive letters (and not the same dive that contains DOSBox).

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You can inject commands into DOSBox when you launch it:

dosbox.exe -c "mount C blah-blah-blah"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been trying different things with DOSBox Game Launcher. It uses a dosroot folder. If you want to carry games on a USB drive just place everything there and make a profile for it. You might want to have a Java installer on the drive too if you're going to a computer that might not have been updated in a while.