VOGONS

DOSBox on Windows Mobile

Topic actions

First post, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is probably a stupid and obvious question but I'm very curious.

I see these new smartphones packing so many cool applications, so isn't anybody considering porting some form of DOSBox into Windows Mobile 6? Probably there's no phone with enough processing power to run most DOS games, but it sure would be a killer app eh? I can only dream about it. 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well you probably never searched for it, but various ports exists 😀
maybe not specificly for windows mobile, but there are various ports for phones and phonelike things

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by lone lee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

well you probably never searched for it, but various ports exists 😀
maybe not specificly for windows mobile, but there are various ports for phones and phonelike things

I had assumed it was pretty impossible to even consider it, but now I see a Pocket PC DOSBox.... that's pretty awesome, I'll keep my eyes peeled for other versions.

Reply 3 of 7, by SharkD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read the stickied thread, as well as the wiki article. My questions is, does anyone know of a dosbox port that works on the Pocket PC 2002 (Windows CE 3) operating system? All the one's I've come across are for PPC 2003 (Windows CE 4) and later.

Also, does anyone have contact info for n0p? His website is devoid of an email address.

Thanks!

-Mike

Reply 4 of 7, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think n0p is still working on any of his various projects. He stopped posting news and updates in early 2006. All I've heard in another forum was that he hasn't got the time for further development and doesn't want to be bothered about it.

It's really a shame, his 0.63 port is very outdated, and emulation speed isn't at all satisfying. Although his port is the best, it's still lacking dynamic core support. 😜

I'm seriously considering selling my PPC and buying a symbian phone like the Nokia N97. 🙄

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

think he lost interest after he got married.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by SharkD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you know of any good non-dosBox alternatives? I've heard of PocketDOS, but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBOX is going to run really slow on these devices anyway. You'd only be able to run very old games from like the 286/386 era at best. Phone and PDA CPUs are very limited.

You are much better off with game engine translations, like ScummVM. They are much less demanding than emulation.