VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ZealPath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, I somewhat doubt this is possible, but lately I have been playing a game over DOSBox (Lighthouse) which requires the user to swap between 2 different discs depending on what location you are in.

I was wondering if it is possible to change what you have mounted as your cd-drive on the fly with a program currently running, as I am a big fan of mounting the images for any game that requires the cd to run. That strategy has hit a bit of a snag with this game though, as if I advance to a point where I have to change discs without realizing it and saving beforehand, I find myself stuck, as even if I insert the disc, my cd-drive is mounted as the image for the other disc, and it won't acknowledge the change of discs for fairly obvious reasons.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated, although overall this is a very minor issue, I can do 99% of what I want to do in DOSBox, and if I have to play this game without mounted drives and just swap between the 2 discs, that isn't the end of the world (that is what I've had to do to this point).

Reply 2 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read the README? No? I thought as much.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 7, by ZealPath

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well to be honest it has been years since I last read the Readme, I had not gone over it in detail since back when I first started using DOSBox. I can now see that what I am asking is possible, which means I can now do 100% of the things i wanted in DOSBox, not bad, not bad at all, BUT...

That all said I had a hell of a time figuring out the exact syntax I needed to use to get this to work, and was unable to find an example of this on the wiki thus far. I did finally find an example of this on the forums, but it wasn't the most obvious thing I've ever found.

From the readme:

imagefile Location of the image files to mount in DOSBox. The location can be on a mounted drive inside DOSBox, or o […]
Show full quote

imagefile
Location of the image files to mount in DOSBox. The location can
be on a mounted drive inside DOSBox, or on your real disk. It is
possible to mount CD-ROM images (ISOs or CUE/BIN) as well, if you
need CD swapping capabilities specify all images in succession.
The CDs can be swapped with CTRL-F4 at any time.

An example how to mount CD-ROM images:
1a. mount c /tmp
1b. imgmount d c:\myiso.iso -t iso
or (which also works):
2. imgmount d /tmp/myiso.iso -t iso

Since none of the examples refer to multiple images, it wasn't exactly clear how to do multiple images. However, I have figured it out, and will do the world a favor and update the wiki.

If anyone else is curious, you can mount multiple images like this:

imgmount d c:\CD1.cue c:\CD2.cue c:\CD3.cue -t iso (obviously, swap cue for iso if that is the format you are using)

Last edited by ZealPath on 2009-02-15, 12:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

From your CVS-version of the README, wd. Not in the official 0.72.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions