VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dopefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've searched the forums, read the DosBox FAQ, but didn't find what i was looking for. I've read somewhere that DosBox doesn't support multi core CPUs, so a single core, very fast (MHz) CPU, is preferable to a quad core, slow (MHz) CPU. Right?
As far as i know, the last single core CPU was Pentium 4. Would a 3-3.6 GHz CPU be enough for running the most demanding dos games on DosBox? Or is it overkill and should choose a lower CPU, like a 2GHz one?
Has DosBox a limit when it comes to how much cpu power uses?

And one more thing, unrelated to CPU, but to software. I know there isn't any DosBox x64 version, but will it help in theory?

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just because it doesn't take advantage of multiple cores doesn't mean you have to stick with a single core cpu. that's ridiculous and you know it.
Don't even bother with P4. Dual core or even Quad core is not 'overkill' for DOSBox. (Wait until you run bethesda/later novalogic games and you'll be wishing for Core i7)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by Dopefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was left with the impression that for DosBox only the GHz matter; the higher, the better. If i run DosBox on a Core2, only one core gets used, the other one sits at ~0%. And for all i know, the best Core2 Quad is at ~3200GHz (don't know about i7). That's why i was thinking at the Pentium 4, because the best one is at 3.6GHz.

The other reason i want a Pentium 4, is because i can get an old motherbord (with AGP) and run Win98 SE on it. For newer boards i can't get Win98 drivers... I plan to build a powerfull Win98 computer for old win games, pre 2000, for maximum compatibility. For dos games i want to use DosBox, that's why i need a powerfull CPU.

Reply 3 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P4 may have high clock rate, but MHz is not everything. Comparing clocks produces meaningful results only when comparing cpus from the same family. Current Core and i7 cpus may have lower clocks but they are at least 1.5 times faster per MHz than P4...P4 actually performed very poorly even with high clocks...
So when you are deciding what cpu to get for dosbox, clock only comes into account if you are choosing between let's say Core2Duo with slightly higher and Core2Quad with slightly lower clock rate. In this case the Core2 with higher clock rate (since number of cores does not matter for dosbox) would perform better.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 6 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use a current operating system and run Windows 98 in a virtual machine. You will have less driver hassles and your Windows 98 might just run better virtualized than for real.
Mostly Windows 98 will just work on a new mother board, but you won't be able to unlock all the glory since there won't be any genuine drivers for Windows 98...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm not sure any virtualizer will do a good job on games but maybe try another one...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by Dopefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Believe me, i've tried 2 or 3. 🙁 It was the most elegant solution, but it doesn't work for all games. Or maybe there is some virtualizer that i don't know and works for all games...😕

If i could just find a mobo with AGP for Core2 and Win 98 support, that will be great.

Reply 10 of 10, by Dopefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dopefish wrote:

If i could just find a mobo with AGP for Core2 and Win 98 support, that will be great.

After a little bit of searching, i found one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775i65G&s=775 😁 It has drivers for Win98 and supports Core 2 Extreme CPUs.
Maybe i will do a thread at retropc section, for the rest of the components needed.