VOGONS

First post, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello -

I just received a new laptop with an express card 54, and I'm trying to used DOS box to communicate to an old piece of equipment call the "POD" using COM1.

I can download my programs to the POD, but after running the program, the POD is to upload the results file to my computer, but it fails. I am getting and error, "Unable to write file".

I can see that it starts to write the file, but then fails. The file is created in the directory, but its incomplete.

Anyone know what kind of parameters I might need to change to get the results file uploaded?

Seems strange to me that I can down load to the POD all the programs and they run fine...its after the program runs and goes to write the results of the test progams to my computer that it fails.

I have another computer with a PCMCIA card slot and I don't have this problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Wacky

Reply 1 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Emulation speed maybe?

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the response.... I think I got it fixed, but not sure if I fully understand how.

I played with some of the parameters and I have gotten it to work. It appears that the CPU CYCLES was the problem. I double checked it by setting it back to 10000 and it failed.

This is what I had:
Core = Dynamic
Cycles = 10000
Cyclesup =500
Cyclesdown = 20

This is what I change to:
Core = Auto
Cycles = 50000
Cycleup = 500
Cycledown = 20

Reply 3 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well...for the most part it is working, however in my results file (which is a text file), I have some strange characters displayed...not many of them, but there are some. And the formatting isn't exact...close but not exact.

Any suggestions on what to "tweak"?

Reply 4 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The strange characters is probably caused by parity errors, framing errors, or other timing problems. I see there are some rxdelay, txdelay parameters you can experiment with...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the Status Window I am getting parity errors and framing errors.

When I start DOSBOX I get the following:

Serial 1 Error Occured Framing 0, parity 4, overrun 0 <IF0:0>, Break 0

When I up load the file, I get a different Framing error result each time:

Framing 2, Parity 0, Overrun 0, Break 1
Framing 1, Parity 1, Overrun 0, Break 0
Framing 7, Parity 0, Overrun 0, Break 0
Framing 15, Parity 2, Overrun 0, Break 1

I'll check out your suggestion and report back.

Reply 6 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are these errors normal? Do they occur on your other computer?

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see them on the other computer also, but the results file does not have "funny" characters being printed out.

I curently have the following configuration on the serial port.

serial1 = directserial realport:com1

The rest of the ports are disabled. I tried to add in a rxdelay, but didn't know what to set it to...I tried 1 to 100 and it didn't make any difference.

At least I can read the result file, before I couldn't even upload them...so I'm almost there.

Just wondering why these framing/pariity/break errors are occuring and how can I fix them.

Reply 8 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it common to have these parity/framing errors and still have things work? Is there any suggestions on how to elliminate them completely?

Reply 9 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Depends on the serial interface of your device... some sort of bus / serial adapters seem to have this side effect.

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks HAL....

It seems to work, however as I mentioned, the file that is uploaded does have some strange characters inbedded in the text. (Its a text file that is uploaded).

I have tried to set the delay RXDELAY to different settings, and I have numerious CPU settings....nothing seems to make a difference.

Its usable...just thought if anyone had any recommendations on what I could try to modify/change to get rid of them completely would be appreciated....it not, I can live with it.

Reply 11 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well it's hard without knowing what exactly goes on... I only have the suspicion that the program requires better timing than what DOSBox offers.

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks again....

You have any suggestions on what I might want to play with as far as settings?

Reply 13 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Looks like you tried all relevant settings already.

1+1=10

Reply 14 of 14, by jusplainwacky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!!! I appreciate all your help.