VOGONS

Dosbox and .ISO's ?

Topic actions

First post, by daaboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here i was, thinking how i missed some of the old games i used to play.

Masters of Magic, X-Com ect. i found some .Iso's and downloaded them.

opened them with Daemon tools and PowerIso. installed them, and yup. wont work.

Then i found DosBox. woot ^^. now ive followed the how to and tryed a few things. setting the .iso as a -f cdrom, but that didnt work. i tryed installing the game and running the exe in dosbox. and nope, wont work.

then i tryed installing via Dosbox. worked on the install to an extent but having an iso there was no cdrom drive.

my last attenmpt was to setup daemontools to create a vertual cdrom and setting that virtual cdrom as the dosbox cdrom, that worked untill the requirement of a cdrom drive.

I have extracted the iso. ran from the iso. created a virtual drive. nothing.

So my question is. am i trying to somthing imposable. or am i doing it wrong, can it be done without burning the iso to a cd?

thanks in advance and woot =]

Reply 1 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

check the readme of dosbox. especially the imgmount command.
Btw buy the games instead of downloading them

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 9, by daaboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks Qbix. Yea downloading is bad, the 2 games i downloaded, i have the games for, but the cds are damaged, so as i own a copy i didnt feel to bad =]

Reply 3 of 9, by khalbrae

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your virtual drive in daemon tools is drive f and you want to mount it as a cdrom drive letter d you would type:

mount d f:\ -t cdrom

similar to what the dosbox instructions how if you read the instructions with it.

I'm lucky I still have my Master of Magic and Xcom Cds in good working order (actually, I really want to get the general midi working on xcom, works fine with Master of Magic). Good luck with everything!

Reply 4 of 9, by daaboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, thats how i did it <phew> it mentions the cdrom speed is to low and stops the install. aww u have them working ; ; might have to pay a visit to ebay hehe.

Is this the section you was refering to Qbix?

[-l driveletter]
This parameter allows you to specify the drive to boot from.
The default is the A drive, the floppy drive. You can also boot
a hard drive image mounted as master by specifying "-l C"
without the quotes, or the drive as slave by specifying "-l D"

Reply 6 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No. Lines 180-190 and 567-615 in the README. Print it out, take it with you on the bus/train and you will have read it all in 20 minutes.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 9, by daaboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IMGMOUNT
A utility to mount disk images and CD-ROM images in DOSBox

thank you ^^/

Reply 8 of 9, by daaboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

would this be the way, sorry to be a pain.

imgmount d c:\oldgames\xcom3.iso -t iso

Reply 9 of 9, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, looks fine. But don't forget that you should also mount a C drive to install your game(s) onto.

If you want to set up multiple games, you may want to take a look at a frontend of your liking.