VOGONS

Resolution Oddity

Topic actions

First post, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I'm new here...

I recently came upon an odd issue with Dosbox. It had been running just fine for quite a while, but lately the resolution has been squished. A black bar, taking up almost 1/4th of the screen, appears whenever I switch to full screen mode.

When I run it windowed, it's fine.
This happens not only in games, but also in the Dosbox text prompt screen.

I don't remember making any changes to the config recently, and I'm not sure what else would cause it to happen.

I've attached a screenshot from the game 'The Horde' to demonstrate -- the black at the bottom shouldn't be there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 😁

Edit: I should add that I am not using a widescreen monitor.

Edit #2: The 'output' value in the config file is currently set to 'ddraw'. If I change it to 'surface', it'll put a smaller black bar on both top and bottom. If I change it to opengl, it puts the bar on top instead of the bottom. None of the options removes the bar.

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It could be that you have aspect=true. Try setting aspect=false. Maybe that will distort the picture and remove the black bar.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried that -- it didn't work. 🙁 Thanks for trying, though.

I noticed that I get the same problem in both DOSBox .70 and .72. I don't know why, but... maybe someone more knowledgeable than me might know what that means.

Reply 3 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you try the calibration buttons on your screen?

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, but that'd be an awful lot of hassle just to play a game every now and then. 😀

I haven't changed the calibration since I bought it, though, and DOSBox was working fine on it as-is just a few days ago.

Reply 6 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hrm, guess that's the only thing that could make sense. I haven't tinkered with my video drivers lately, though... I wonder if Windows Update could have snuck something in when I wasn't paying attention?

I'll try updating my video drivers. I probably should've done that from the start. And I'll try your suggestion to see what happens if that doesn't work. Thanks. 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I updated my drivers and rebooted into safe mode... it did the same thing there: big black bar along the bottom. 🙁

Reply 8 of 12, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is your fullresolution setting?

Reply 9 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That black bar is about 80 pixels.

Normal 2x scaler in DOSBox would scale that screen from 320x200 to 640x400. Since you captured that screen you know it's not a monitor issue. So it's something to do with the software. Either in dosbox.conf or in video card settings.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's all my current SDL settings:

[sdl] fullscreen=true fulldouble=true fullresolution=original windowresolution=original output=surface autolock=true sensitivity […]
Show full quote

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,pause
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

I've tried changing fullresolution to all sorts of things... most just lead to larger black bars, of course. Original is the least-worst.

I have a GeForce 8800GT, for the record, and I'm running on Vista32. I don't know if that helps narrow anything down.

Edit: Erm... apparently posting my .conf settings fixed the problem. 😖 I literally copied and pasted, didn't even save, and re-ran dosbox just to see what would happen. And now it works.

I'm totally baffled -- it started happening for no apparent reason, and just stopped for no apparent reason. I guess that's that, then. 😁 Hopefully it stays working now.

Thanks for all the help, at any rate. 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by Tsyu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice that you somehow got it working. Either you changed something within the last few minutes, or your computer only displays DOSBox properly when it feels like it...

Reply 12 of 12, by Kortalh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, no changes. Though my computer and I have come to terms with the fact that I must occasionally sacrifice a jelly donut to its greatness in order to achieve results. I must have just fallen behind on my quota for the month. 😁