VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Darqlink51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm new to the forums and new to DOSBox (although for now I'm not sure if this is the right forum), and I have a question: my Steam copy of Ultimate Doom uses DOSBox, and I use it for other games (i.e. I.M. Meen), but the sound is broken. Anyone have any answers?

Reply 3 of 6, by Kit Silva

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The configuration used by the iD games in Steam isn't very good. It's supposed to be tuned for that game alone but it really needs better tweaking. You're better off copying the datafiles off the Steam install and running the game with a separate DOSBox install. (It's what I did with my Commander Keen games!)

Reply 5 of 6, by Darqlink51

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Batracio, like I said, I'm new to DOSBox, so I don't have a lot of information because I don't know a lot about the program. Certainly no need to be rude about it.

However, I do have DOSBox on a separate install, but that one doesn't have any sound either. And now that I check the program, I scarcely remember how I even got it running, what with such natural terms to the average joe like "mounting" and "key mapping" and "Usage Mount C: Override Mapping"...do I even have the version needed for emulation? My version is DOSBox-0.72. I remember a few months ago toying with the program and finally getting it to run one of the games.

I have to apologize for being such an idiot, but really, a program that expects people without coding backgrounds who just want to try out a game to actually know how to, say, alter programming cycles, is actually faintly irking.

Really quite sorry.

UPDATE: Never mind, I just got it to work. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Reply 6 of 6, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You've built up a programming boogie man that doesn't exist. Knowing CPU and MHz are all the background involved for understanding cycles. Valve's Counter Strike and Day of Defeat have a more cryptic interface and esoteric options.