VOGONS

Common searches

Config Questions.

Topic actions

First post, by IG-88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. I'm a little confused here. I want to change the output in dosbox v.73 to opengl to get the type picture I want. Every time I goto: run, open dosbox configuration file in defend-reloaded and edit said file I cant get any changes to take effect. I changed the output to opengl and nothing. I even tried to changing things under [render] and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?

Reply 3 of 23, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you edit the configuration from Start -> Programs -> Dosbox 0.73 -> Configuration -> Edit configuration? You might have edited the wrong file. Also, how do you know opengl is not being used?

Reply 4 of 23, by IG-88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got dosbox thru defend reloaded so I am editing the config file under that folder.

I can tell opengl isn't working because the picture isn't as "soft" as I would like. I even tried to change the render to show some scan lines and that doesn't work either. It's like whatever I change in the config file is ignored.

Reply 5 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I got dosbox thru defend reloaded

Install dosbox from the official homepage, check that editing the configuration
file is working in general (change the xms option and verify that it's been changed
by typing MEM in dosbox).

Reply 14 of 23, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So why should be something be different, you're just using a different rendering
backend then which may or may not behave different depending on your graphics
card/gfx card drivers.

Reply 17 of 23, by IG-88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ wd: I don't pretend to understand why opengl looks better than any other option but to me it just does. In the emulator Mame for example, using the opengl option instead of ddraw makes for a much better picture.

@ robertmo: Vid Card - ATi Radeon HD 4550, O/S Vista Ultimate 64bit.

@ ripa: says opengl. Isn't giving the effect I want tho. I also typed in scaler which came back scan2x. But there are definitely no scan lines.

Reply 18 of 23, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IG-88 wrote:

@ wd: I don't pretend to understand why opengl looks better than any other option but to me it just does. In the emulator Mame for example, using the opengl option instead of ddraw makes for a much better picture.

In DOSBox, it's not supposed to look any different (possibly slightly more/less blurry depending on your settings), but not to the point where there is any noticeable change in quality.

IG-88 wrote:

@ ripa: says opengl. Isn't giving the effect I want tho. I also typed in scaler which came back scan2x. But there are definitely no scan lines.

Not getting the effect you want or expect doesn't mean it's not working. Just that your expectations are off a bit from DOSBox reality.

Note that these scalers will generally show any effect only when running low-resolution games (e.g. something running in 320x200 or 320x240) unless you force them to operate (which is generally not a good idea).

Reply 19 of 23, by IG-88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kippesoep wrote:

In DOSBox, it's not supposed to look any different (possibly slightly more/less blurry depending on your settings), but not to the point where there is any noticeable change in quality.

Not getting the effect you want or expect doesn't mean it's not working. Just that your expectations are off a bit from DOSBox reality.

Note that these scalers will generally show any effect only when running low-resolution games (e.g. something running in 320x200 or 320x240) unless you force them to operate (which is generally not a good idea).

I will have to kindly disagree. I believe there is quite a bit of change in picture quality. If you want to call it a slightly more blurry picture then so be it. The graphics are not nearly as "pixelated" and therefore more appeasing to my eye.

I believe that this has to be something to do with the FE I am using. I don't know how but if I run dosbox on the wifes computer I can get the effects I am looking for. The quality is as I like and even the scan lines are VERY noticeable on it (tho thats not what I initially wanted). The only difference between the two is that I have defend reloaded on this machine. Just doesn't make any sense tho because its the exact same version of dosbox, same hardware, same o/s & same games on both machines and I'm not even using the FE to test. I guess I'm probably going to have to live with it 🙁