VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever since I updated to Ubuntu Intrepid the sound produced by DOSBox skips and jumps and sounds all glitchy. I've tried changing the cpu cylces around and noticed that it really starts to freak out when I go above 7000 cycles (in Windows I can have it running at 15000 and it won't stutter at all). I set it down to 1000 cycles and less and it still skips and jumps. It's not just a skip, though, the sound actually raises and lowers in pitch at random. It does this with PC Speaker sound, Tandy 3-Voice sound, Adlib, and everything else. Why might this be happening and is there a way to fix it?

I had a problem with the arrow keys not working either, but I fixed that. I was wondering if this is another problem brought on by intrepid like the arrow keys thing.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I haven't tried 8.10 yet and I think it is a good thing I didn't upgrade yet 😀
Which sound system are they using this time ? Are still on that pulseaudio stuff ?
for dosbox you could try experimenting with the blocksize and the prebuffer size.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

I haven't tried 8.10 yet and I think it is a good thing I didn't upgrade yet 😀
Which sound system are they using this time ? Are still on that pulseaudio stuff ?
for dosbox you could try experimenting with the blocksize and the prebuffer size.

I also used to have these problems after upgrading from 8.04 to 8.10. 8.10 is crap ... 😒 Therefore I have switched to Debian Lenny recently. No sound problems any more -- and countless other non-dosbox related problems have disappeared as well.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 3 of 8, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I can't switch back to 8.04 because my fglrx driver never worked in Linux until I upgraded to 8.10. Now I actually have 3D graphics for games and can use Compiz etc. So that's too important to lose.

Hmmm. Maybe it's Compiz that's doing it.

EDIT: Bingo. It was Compiz. Works fine in Metacity.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 7 of 8, by rCX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have a solution after some tinkering. 😀

Lowering the mixer's rate in dosbox.conf greatly reduces the amount skiping. I used "rate=11025". "rate=5513" works as well but sound quality is greatly diminished.

Reply 8 of 8, by MartinC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resolved this but setting output freq. to 44,100 KHz in DOSBox .conf file, Ubuntu 9.10.

Think you have to match your system output.

Win98 Gold: 1GHz PIII - GeForce2 - Voodoo2 - 768MB - SCSI 😀