VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by anigel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have been using dosbox since years now, and I realize that I never sent any mail or message to let you know how wonderfull this program is. It allowed me to continue using old software and particularly "good old games" 😉. Thank you for the great work you've done : really impressive !

I am a daily linux user ; I nearly never use Windows. And I have been using dosbox with gentoo and ubuntu for a very long time now. Recently, I decided to buy a logitech gamepad / joystick, to play old arcade games (Screamer for example). I chose the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad, but I've never managed to make it work correctly with dosbox. This is very strange since I use it without any problem in other pieces of software (snes9x for example). I have tried a lot of options, but it seems that I am now completely lost !!!

In fact I have 2 different problems. First one, and most annoying, is that despite a complete calibration of this input device, games like screamer always run like if I was pushing the "right" button. Same problem with Duke3D : The camera keeps turning on itself by the right... Calibration sequence is very strange, like if the gamepad was not able to completely stick on right and "up" directions...

I don't know if I am very clear, but my english isn't perfect, sorry 😀.

Hope someone will have a clue...

Current tests have been done with dosbox 0,73 on ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't have to buy another one, I *think* there was a workaround for this problem in 2007 but I can't remember where.

i'm surprised 10.04 doesn't have it fixed by now

by the way, if people recommended you a gamepad, the answer would be a brand you might not like that ends in Soft 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not experience problems with my identical gamepad in DOSBox, then again I'm a Windows user.

One thing I have noticed though is that DOSBox will sometimes interpret the second analog stick as a second joystick, and this can make some games behave strange if it's not calibrated properly as a second joystick in the game. If this is the problem then one thing you can do is use the DOSBox keymapper to remove the second joystick mappings temporarily (or permanently if you save the mapper file), or you could try calibrating your second analog stick as a the second joystick in the game in question.

You should also try toggling the "timed" state in the joystick section of the DOSBox configuration file, as some games don't like timed intervals.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg