VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by glosickpd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to create a bat file to run a game. I can execute DosBox in my bat file and bring up DOSBox and the screen with Z:\> However, the the next line in my BAT file is: "mount c c:\" This command will not execute. I wonder why?

cd c:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74\ this line OK
DOSBox -userconf This line OK
mount C C:\cd_array This line won't happen,

I get 'mount' is not recognized as an external or internal command

Reply 6 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The readme has all the info you need.
Again you are simply making the mistake of mixing batfiles outside and inside dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 26, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
glosickpd wrote:

You couldn't give me a coding example, could you?

Start menu > DOSBox 0.74 Options
Scroll to the bottom.
Place your mount command under [autoexec].

You also need to specify the conf file to use.

Reply 8 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
glosickpd wrote:

I get 'mount' is not recognized as an external or internal command

Either the AUTOEXEC section of Config file (as desribed in the post above),
or type it *inside* of DOSBox, because Windows doesn't know this command.

Klimawandel.

Reply 9 of 26, by gypsysnail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok at the risk of getting told off that there is info on this somewhere else in the forum, sorry but I cant trawl through 100's of many threads to find the answer I want even with search ok, as my case is similar to this but complicated! I read the Read Me and its CONFUSING!!!!! It does not explain CLEARLY in full how to make an auto exe file. What I want to do is actually make an exe file itself so that if I want to play a game, I can click it from a shortcut and it executes automatically on dosbox without having to mount or go through other things. I am very very beginner at this so please understand why I am asking the question here. I want full clear instructions and a good example of how to make an exe file like the game itself as the exe file. How is this achieved please?

Reply 10 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gypsysnail wrote:

I read the Read Me and its CONFUSING!!!!! It does not explain CLEARLY in full how to make an auto exe file

Not the goal (of DOSBox). Instead of, you would need different configuration files or even must use a DOSBox frontend which manages this for you.

Klimawandel.

Reply 11 of 26, by gypsysnail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok.... how did the GOG team manage to achieve being able to sell me games that execute straight off the dosbox when I clicked on the shortcut after installing the pack of games I bought? When I installed the games.... shortcuts of the games appeared on the desk top and when I clicked on one each of them, they executed by dosbox so perfectly, so I am wondering how this was achieved? I was doing my block last night when I was trying to make a separate config file in notepad, and saving it as a config file and making a shortcut on the desktop, it wouldnt work. Kept bringing up the dosbox black box with Z:\>

Reply 12 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

glosickpd: it doesn't work like that. You're basically starting DOSBox, and the command after that is executed when DOSBox exits. You have to execute the command _inside_ DOSBox. One way to achieve this is by putting the command in the "autoexec" section of your dosbox.conf, as several people have pointed out.

gypsysnail: USE A FRIGGING FRONTEND IF YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO WORK OUT HOW DOSBOX WORKS.

Had to get that out of my system. The GOG people probably did what you seem to be avoiding: learning how DOSBox works and using their brains to come up with a user-friendly solution. What you want to do is possible, and there are multiple ways of doing it. With your level of "knowledge" the easiest way would be to use a frontend.

Reply 13 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

D-Fend reloaded. Especially for beginners...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 26, by gypsysnail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ADDICT!!! DONT YELL AT ME!!! HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING LAZY! U HAVE JUST PISSED ME OFF!!!! U DONT KNOW ME AT ALL SO DONT TELL ME THINGS WHEN U DONT KNOW ME FROM A BAR OF SOAP!!! I AM NOT FRIGGING LAZY U IDIOT!!! I WORKED FOR 6 HOURS HOW TO USE IT AND I DONT UNDERSTAND ALL OF IT YES I DID TRY THE CONFIG THING BUT IT WAS TOO HARD! I AM NOT A PROGRAMMER LIKE YOU ARE!!!!!!! AND I HAVE BEEN USING A FRONTEND BUT I DONT WANT TO AT THE MOMENT AS I WANT TO LEARN HOW TO DO WHAT GOG DID AND THATS WHAT I VE BEEN DOING! SO TAKE BACK YOUR WORDS AND APOLOGISE OR GET OUT OF MY FACE AND DONT COMMENT AGAIN AT ME!!!

Reply 15 of 26, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, thank you very much, you've just made my day. You certainly know how to make friends don't you. Anyway, I stand by my suggestion: use a frontend.

Reply 16 of 26, by gypsysnail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

U are a complete idiot Addict, ur response means nothing to me! U really are the stupid one not me. I busted my guts for hours trying to work it out!!!! I TOLD you (or cant you READ properly?????? Oh thats right ur illiterate!! GO back to school and LEARN!!) already that I have a frontend and I want to try the hard way!!!!!! Thats what this forum is for, LEARNING and asking others for advice on how to do something!!! Get over yourself, u obviously think u re better than us cos u can do it. Well I have news for you! Ur not better than us!

By the way I dont care to make friends ok!!! There are other people that wouldnt put me down the way you did!!!! I am a female not a male in case you are wondering if u are fighting with a male! Bloody idiot!!!

Reply 17 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gypsysnail, relax it's all good.

I grew up with MS DOS and batch files but I still only use D-Fend reloaded. It's an amazing piece of software, just like DOSBox is, and it's super convenient, especially when you use all the advanced options or want to try out various settings.

I don't know about GOG but looking at all the batch files should be a good starting point!

I have some games from GOG but I just grab the files and put them in my Retro Gaming folders and then run D-Fend reloaded. The reason is that GOG often doesn't configure their games properly and I'm quite particular about the settings I want to use.

Reply 18 of 26, by gypsysnail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there Mau1wurf1977, thanks, I knew there were some cool people like you on here who would understand unlike addict. Anyway yes I had a look at the shortcut's properties of the games I got from GOG, but the batch files is one part I hadnt looked at yet, this would be in the files where its installed right?

I know, I love the frontend! It's awesome!! The games I own from 1980s, the ones on disks I have the files on my computer and I was trying to work out how I could make them the way GOG did so I can make quick execute shortcut files, just want to learn a new way as I am learning some programming for a game I am making.

Reply 19 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Start with the shortcut (the one you double click to run the game). That shortcut points to something, usually a batch file.

Then research that batch file (with notepad). It will usually contain a few lines and will call another batch file or proceed with launching DOSBox.

There will also be a reference to a DOSBox config file (for that particular game) somehwere.

So that's how I would approach it. But still it's a lot of work and D-Fend reloaded is so much easier 😜