VOGONS

First post, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Windows 7 with an Auzentech X-Fi soundcard. I have the option in the Windows Sound control panel of selecting a default audio device, and in order to use DTS Connect (useful for real-time discrete audio via SPDIF for 3d games), I have to select the analog speaker device, despite my using a phsyical SPDIF connection--this is a requirement of Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect devices. I get no sound in DOSBox unless I enable DTS encoding, which I don't wish to do considering DOS games are all stereo and I'd rather default to simple SPDIF stereo output.

Is there a way I can specify which audio device is to be used (SPDIF rather than my currently selected default device in the Sound CP) like there is for selecting a default MIDI device with mixer /listmidi and specifying midiconfig=[0,1,2] in conf? I can't seem to find wave equivalent of this config function, but it would be very useful for Vista/Windows 7 users. I hate having to change my default audio device in the control panel just for DOSBox.

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SPDIF should work fine for Stereo, but for anything surround you need analogue outputs, unless you card can encode it on the fly.

Set your speaker config to Stereo and see if that helps!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can encode on the fly with DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live, I was just wondering if there's a way to select an audio device within DOSBox other than the default Windows audio device. This probably isn't possible at the moment as I don't think DOSBox enumerates non-MIDI devices. Thanks though.

Reply 4 of 6, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could see SDL environment variables being a solution for Linux users of DOSBox, but is there a way to specify the audio device (other than MIDI devices) within DOSBox for Windows?

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

SDL environment variables can be set on Windows as well. Either by being set globally for Windows or by starting Dosbox from a command prompt and setting the variables there before starting dosbox.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 6, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SDL FAQ on the wiki is currently down, but I checked an archived version: http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200806281912 … -Using_SDL.html

This unfortunately isn't useful for a Vista/Win7 user due to the way it maps to audio devices. The variables I need don't exist. I'm afraid only the default playback device can be used for wave playback in DOSBox currently. This isn't a major inconvenience as it isn't hard to change the default playback device, but I can always hope for device enumeration within DOSBox in the future. From what I can tell, it's just not possible with SDL though. Thanks guys.