VOGONS

Common searches

Ask a stupid question

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My original question (When is next release of DOSbox scheduled?) now says,"This topic is closed", so I'm trying to continue the thread by starting again.

It's like the old saying,"In order to learn you have to be willing to ask stupid questions!" If I didn't ask, I wouldn't have known that the next release of DOSbox wasn't ready for release when I asked the question.

So, how IS the next release coming along? I'm still looking a fresh release with a bug-fix for the num-pad problem.

Reply 3 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSbox development is no different than any other software.

Unless you are:
Actually paying money for the product
DOSBox devs have to report to you
A DOSBox dev or beta tester

then you won't get a timetable for DOSBox development.

Use a SVN build if you want the latest build of DOSBox.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoserjoe wrote:

I'm still looking a fresh release with a bug-fix for the num-pad problem.

If it's already in the SVN, then do as DosFreak suggests. If there's a patch somewhere, apply it and compile it yourself if you really need the fix.

In fact, is this the problem? You can probably download a utility that toggles the num-lock state and configure DOSBox to run it a couple of times when it starts up.

Reply 8 of 20, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
butterfly wrote:

Quit having desires and hopes if you cannot make them yourself and enjoy and live the moment

Gee, if I could make it myself I wouldn't need DOSbox, would I? Anyway, don't bug me about asking since the bug has been fixed at the code level, but it's just not in the download edition. So I'm not asking for anything special to be done - it's already done, just needs compiling and release as near as I can figure out from everybody's helpful replies :-)

Reply 9 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoserjoe wrote:

it's already done, just needs compiling and release as near as I can figure out from everybody's helpful replies 😀

Figure again. You don't need to wait for DOSBox 0.75 to get the fix. Did you read DosFreak's link?

Reply 10 of 20, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

You don't need to wait for DOSBox 0.75 to get the fix. Did you read DosFreak's link?

Yes, but it leads to a (spam?) download site which requires that I agree to accept a trainload of conditions. Here's what it asks in order to get DOSBox (still v0.74):

"What is Zoom Downloader? Zoom Downloader is a download manager that integrates with your web browser and replaces its default download capabilities with improved features. While you download, you will be offered software by some of our partners."

I just want DOSBox 0.75 without the headache of having some anonymous person & his partners in China "improve" my browser.

Reply 11 of 20, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DosFreak's link goes to a wiki page with links to a bunch of SVN builds and other people's forks.

If his link took you to a spam page, then I suspect your computer is already being "improved"... 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 20, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't need a clue, I just read the wiki page (clicking on Dosfreak's link, BTW) and there's no zoom downloader or such nonsense, so...first you'll probably want some antispyware thingie...as it seems your browser has already been "improved".
You could avoid the hassle by getting the SVN source yourself and compiling it, too...Just thinking out loud 😀

Reply 14 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yup and if you fixed your pc and are able to visit the wiki you will actually learn what SVN build of dosbox means (as you asked in a pm).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 20, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Step 1. Use DosFreak's link, then scroll to this section of the wiki, click
l5rXD.png

Step 2. Scroll to the most recent link regarding DOSBox SVN, click.
PJWX7.png

Step 3. Scroll to the download link on the article page. Click
7yAVf.png

Step 4. Choose a mirror, I like MediaFire.
RPatv.png

Step 5. Follow file host's directions for download.
RuYN5.png

At no stage did any text appear remotely resembling what you quotes. Get that malware infection off your PC, or stop clicking every gigantic "DOWN LOAD NOW!!!" button you see.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 20, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

At no stage did any text appear remotely resembling what you quotes. Get that malware infection off your PC, or stop clicking every gigantic "DOWN LOAD NOW!!!" button you see.

You haven't shown what happens after you click "Download". What happens is you're presented with a ".7z" compressed file which you need to subscribe to a selection of spam sites in order to get the specialized version of WinZip needed to extract the ".7z" compressed DOSBox file. The regular version of WinZip doesn't unzip the ".7z" compressed files. I suppose you can use the specialized WinZip if you don't mind getting a trainload of spam as a result. I'm not too fussy about opening my PC to that kind of junk.

Reply 18 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hoserjoe wrote:

What happens is you're presented with a ".7z" compressed file which you need to subscribe to a selection of spam sites in order to get the specialized version of WinZip needed to extract the ".7z" compressed DOSBox file. The regular version of WinZip doesn't unzip the ".7z" compressed files.

you fail it

apsosig.png
long live PCem