VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheRealAnubis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I was given an old Apple iBook clamshell, and I've been playing some old games on it in OS 9.2.2. (Diablo, Shadow Warrior, etc.)

I have OS X installed as well, and when I saw DOSbox, I downloaded it and followed the directions.

Problem is, it doesn't do anything when I double click the DOSbox app!

I see that the requirement is for OS X, but which flavor? I have 10.3.9 installed, which is the max you can do for a non-firewire iBook.

I also read the OS X help file here, and it didn't help since it assumes that running the app does something.

Any tips?

Mac iBook G3 300 Mhz PPC
160MB RAM (soon to be more)
Boot ROM 4.1.7f4

Reply 1 of 4, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need at least a G4 Mac, since DOSBox 0.70, at least in the official build.

That said, there is a nice fellow that has been maintaining G3-compatible builds of DOSBox: http://www.spam-filter.de/dosbox/dosbox_0.74_for_g3

I've tried it on my G3 iMac 500MHz, and while the performance isn't stellar, you can play some older games like Lemmings at a respectable speed. I don't know how you'll go on your 300MHz machine, but it can't hurt to try! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah official 0.74 requires OSX 10.4 ppc or intel up to 10.6...

Older versions might run on 10.3 though

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by TheRealAnubis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

I downloaded the stuff from the link, and I'll try it out as soon as I can and let you know how it worked!

I kept looking for what version of OS X was supported, but I couldn't find that info.

😎