VOGONS

Common searches

Win3.1 shell suggestions?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am asking for recommendations for any good Win16 Program Manager replacements. It has to be easy to use for newbies and those not good with computers. At the same time, it has to be quick for additions of new software/items. It also has to be able to read from Program Manager groups and intercept such changes from new installations. I already have one such, but 1. I don't like it, and 2. This request is for a different setup. I want to uninstall the current configuration, but as I'm not in front of that computer right now, I can't get its name. I'll come back with it when I access that computer. Any ideas?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 1 of 6, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the best I've ever heard of is Calmira http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calmira
It gives you Windows 95 style shell in 3.1. It is quite feature rich.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This question does not appear to have anything to do with DOSBox. Therefore, you should not be posting it in "DOSBox General".

I agree that Calmira is probably the way to go. http://toastytech.com/guis/indexshells.html has some other examples.

Reply 3 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry about the OT post. I didn't know where to post. And thank you for the tips. I really don't want to have Win3.1 look like Win95, for I also hav a Win98 computer, but I'll look at the other suggestions now.

Reply 4 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked. I like Central Point Desktop, but it has alot of buttons to complicate the look-and-feel--some of my audience might not be able to handle the multitude of buttons and features. PB Navigator 1.1 can help my audience, but it won't handle my demands for full control of system processes and software. PBN 3.5 is unnecessarily extravagant in design and uses too many over-simplifications. Alot of the other shells simply try to copy another system. Microsoft Bob looks plain annoying. Maybe I'll just install Win16 twice in two different places on the USB drive and have each setup use different Win16 setups for the emulated C: drive and put the software on other emulated drives such that only the C: drive is different. I can't find the links to the software on the given page, or do I have to Google it?

Reply 5 of 6, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a plan. I googled PBN 1.1 and Central Point Desktop. I found PBN on REMOVED but not CPD. When ready with the Win16 setup, I will install CPD then PBN on top of that. Thank you for your help.

BTW, Does anybody here know where to get CPD?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-12-22, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.