VOGONS

First post, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

I'm having some trouble with my joystick in DOSBox SVN Daum (Jan. 27. 2014).

Some information, as requested in the guidelines:

Motherboard: Super Micro X5DA8
Processor type and speed: Dual Pentium 4 Xeon 3.2 Ghz
Amount and type of RAM: 4x Kingston KVR266X72RC25L/2G (2GB DDR/266, registered ECC)
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS AGP with 256 MB
Sound board: Realtek AC'97 Codec (on motherboard, ALC650 based)
Operating system: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 x86
Game name: Anything that uses a joystick
Description of problem: joystick vanishes when altering timed=
Reproducibility of problem: Always
Sound mode used: Sound Blaster 16 and General MIDI
Video mode: Both Software and Glide, 640x480
Version of emulator: DOSBox SVN Daum (Jan. 27. 2014)
Steps already attempted to solve the problem: Configuration reset. Mapper reset. Reducing/increasing cycles. Altering cputype and core.
Gamepad model: Gamestop PC 1000GS USB gamepad detected as Generic USB Joystick with 4 axes, 12 buttons and 1 hat.

I'm using a freshly installed DOSBox Daum (Jan. 27. 2014) with default settings. Only custom thing is the mount command:

mount c d:\dosbox\c

My gamepad works very well with these settings. MSD 3.01 detects a game adapter under Other Adapters as Joystick A. Gravis utilities let me calibrate it and Windows 3.11 lets me install/calibrate/test it.

If I enter the command timed=false the gamepad just vanishes from DOSBox. It doesn't show in MSD, Gravutils won't show any joystick and Windows 3.11 complains about joysticks not detected.

Setting timed=false in conf file works until I pass the command timed=true (same symptoms as above).

Thank you for your time!

Reply 1 of 11, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Test with DOSBox 0.74 and then DOSBox-SVN. Also, Win 3.x is not a supported configuration.

Reply 2 of 11, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your fast reply. I just downloaded, installed and ran DOSBox 0.74.

Default configuration with mount c d:\dosbox\c

timed=false at prompt nukes the joystick, just as with Daum. timed=false in .conf and timed=true at prompt does the same.

I'm well aware Daum/Windows 3/Windows 9x aren't official/supported, which makes any help from the community even more awesome. I was just reporting my findings (by the way, Windows 3.x runs very well, I had no problems with it so far!).

PS: Not sure what build you mean by SVN. I found those:

DOSBox SVN r3858 dated 2014-01-13 here http://down.emucr.com/v3/8474001
and the one I'm using now http://ykhwong.x-y.net/.

Same behavior with r3858, joystick vanishes when I alter timed=

Reply 3 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, then it seems the timed option is not meant for runtime change but only for starting DOSBox (same as some other settings).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 11, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently... I just checked every official release from 0.70 inclusive, and all behave the same. My mind is playing tricks again, I was pretty sure it worked at some point.

Thank you for your help 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, a point could be made that changing this on runtime shouldn't kill the joystick but should just be ignored.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 11, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it makes sense in retrospect... I can't change RAM size on the fly either for obvious reasons. It's just I'm spoiled rotten by all the options available!

Please forgive my ignorance, but do you think it would be possible to somehow "revive" the pad from within DOSBox?

(edit: typos)

Reply 8 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The class constructor sets
stick[0,1].enabled = false. Which causes the joystick to be disabled.
As the mapper doesn't get reset, the joystick never enables again.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nah, if those 2 lines are removed it should work just fine.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 11, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys rock... I've been toying all day with DOSBox, doing all kind of abominations today with settings and stuff, and I'm very impressed...

It has come to the point I'm about to ditch my retro PC and use only DOSBox.
If someday this timed= thing gets sorted out, we'll be able to frankenstein our way to almost any possible configuration without ever exiting DOSBox, just by using batches 😎

Thanks a lot for looking into this!