VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ray5450

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had to adjust cpu cycles down to 500 in order to get a display to work right, but then startup is very, very slow. I then thought I could set it for 5000, and set cycledown to 4500, but when I use the cycledown key after starting okay, it has no effect and behaves like it is still 5000 instead of 500. Anyone know why? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More information. What game, how are you mounting things, what all have you tried?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by ray5450

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank-you, for your response.

Game: Last Half of Darkness 3

Mounting: mount f D:\LHIII

The issue is scrolling the inventory. Without being slowed down as I described, it goes only to the very top and only to the very bottom.

I have tried:
1.Changing the cpu core with no effect on the issue.
2. Changing the cputype with no effect on the issue.
3. Changing the cycles and cycledown, and with results as described.

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not familiar enough with the game to know what might be going on, so all I can suggest are general things. I don't know what settings the game itself might have. Did you install the game from within DOSBox? A long shot, but did you try capturing the mouse (CTRL+F10)?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not set the cycles to 500, then use the "warp speed" (my term,) mode to get past the slow start. I believe it defaults to <ALT>F12, though I may have changed it to that long ago and forgot. You could hit <CTRL>F1 to bring up the keymap and check "Speedlock" to see what it is set too if you need. I know I haven't changed keymap off of <CTRL>F1. Start your game, hold down <ALT>F12 till you get past the startup, then go back to playing your game. the speed will go back to normal (500 cycles) as soon as you release <ALT>F12.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 6, by ray5450

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

collector: Not really an install. More of a decompress. Yes, it has mouse capability

feedingdragon: This worked. Thanks, a lot.
Coincidentally, I also found that this game uses space bar for an "action" and is able to scroll better than the mouse, which I was using before.

This problem is solved. Thanks, again.