Common searches

dosbox error

Topic actions

First post, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI everyone.
I have a problem with dosbox. Recently my dosbox fails to run programs and it appears a window with the error " this program must be run in win32" even if that is not a windows program.
The program i want to run is norton commander, and it worked just fine since long ago, but now it doesnt.
What can i do?

Reply 3 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOS programs don't magically change into Windows programs.
So you are either running different programs, or something messed up the executables (virus/update/???)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 14, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am not running different programs, i am running same dosbox as when it was working all right and same norton commander.
i didnt make any update at dosbox or other dos programs which worked before very well, they are the same.

Reply 5 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ranger077 wrote:

it appears a window with the error " this program must be run in win32"

Can you post a screenshot of this? Because DOSBox is incapable of showing such windows. Even normal Windows programs don't make references to "win32" when you try to run them. Your problem is probably not with DOSBox.

Reply 6 of 14, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, i am sorry, it is my mistake . it is not a new window it says that message in the same window.
here is the screenshot

Attachments

• snapshot1.png
    Filename
    snapshot1.png
    File size
    16.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

First make sure which nc is causing this. Nc.exe, nc.bat or nc.com (to make sure nothing took precedence over the norton commander nc command).
If it is nc.bat look up what is being called in there.
If it is nc.com or nc.exe upload them to any of the free online virus scanners.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 14, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I scanned it online, the nc.exe. the others, .bat and com i dont have them.
It is ok, no virus found. Furthermore, not only nc is not working but also a lot of other msdos games which worked few days ago, as doom 2, mortal kombat 1, etc.
So i tend to believe tht is dosbox problem. I deleted it and reinstalled. same problem.
Any more suggestions?

Reply 10 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Such messages are generated by code in executable files, so it is not a DOSBox issue. Most likely your DOS executable files have been modified or replaced, accidentally or by some malicious software, and are now effectively Windows executables. So, you need to reinstall or otherwise replace the damaged files from a clean source, original media being the best choice.

Reply 11 of 14, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to download again the games from internet, including nc and they worked well. So i guess you were right, there must have been a virus or something which corrupted them all.
Thank you for helping me all of you.

Reply 12 of 14, by ranger077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone it's me again. The problem occured again and even though i know what i have to do it is still anoying and i would like to solve it.
I think it is a program which keeps corrupting them, it happens to all my .exe on hard disk. Does anybody have any idea what that program may be? It canot be a virus, because i have linux as i previously said. and another thing, same problem has a computer of a friend of mine which also has lubuntu installed.
I guess it is related to wine because it is the only program that can onep an exe file and modify it.
Any suggestions?

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This isn't a DOSBox issue and no one has ever posted this problem before to this forum.

Start by checking the date modified timestamp and also run a diff betwene the original and modified files to see what is being changed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline