VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by robert37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed the latest Dosbox on my Asus T100 tablet/laptop hybrid running Windows 8.

With the keyboard attached, Dosbox runs fine.

However, in tablet mode, without the keyboard, Dosbox will not run. When I click its icon, the Dosbox window appears for a split second, then disappears, and nothing happens.

Any ideas on this?

Robert

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seems it needs a keyboard (and a mouse, touch screen won't work correctly)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Collector, a "fix" would most likely be possible by porting fully to SDL2 (there is a patch available)...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was thinking SDL2 since it would be pointless to do anything more with versions no longer under development.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you probably mean 16bit and yes, there are many other programs besides dosbox that can run Dos/Dos programs (VMs etc.)

Also regardless of the touch problem, Dosbox shouldn't be used for anything than games, especially if it is about mission critical software.

Reply 9 of 11, by robert37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it truly is a 32-bit Dos program, using the Pharlap 32-bit Dos extender. Written around 1985, I think.

I have been running this program for many years in Dosbox, under Win95, Win2000, WinXP, Win7, and now Win8.1. Also under Android, using Turbo Dosbox in a tablet and on my phone. In all of these scenarios, Dosbox and my program run just fine, calculating perfectly and never crashing --- except for the Win8 problem when the keyboard is detached.

In my two Android uses, Turbo Dosbox doesn't mind the lack of a keyboard, and the virtual keyboard works perfectly.

So it appears that something in the Asus T100's interface between the Win8 OS and the Dosbox program is askew when it comes to the keyboad/virtual keyboard switch. But I know nothing of such things.

But it really is not about my program. Dosbox won't even run at all, even before I call my Dos program.

Any ideas on this?

Reply 10 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As written above it's most likely a problem of SDL and Windows 8 and the not attached keyboard. You can't bring the Android ports into the equation since those were inofficial and especially made for keyboardless devices.

Reply 11 of 11, by robert37

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, then. If nothing can be done with Dosbox failing to run on the tablet-only Asus T100 --- can anyone suggest a particular alternative VM or other solution? One that is not too memory-hungry?

I just need to run DOS inside Windows 8.1, with and without a keyboard, using sometimes the on-screen keyboard or sometimes the physical keyboard. Any ideas?

Robert