VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hippox89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing an unique and classic game in multiplayer with a friend using DosBox, but the game is susceptible to crashes over time and a match can take 10+ hours. The game also has no save system (in multiplayer). I've been wondering if it might be possible to capture an entire game state instead between two connected DosBox instances over the network and then being able to restore it to continue a game another time or if the game crashes?

I know that you can for example save the entire game state when playing a game using an emulator at any point and then restore it without the game actually having a save system, but what about between two instances of DosBox that's connected between two PCs? Is it possible in theory or just impossible? It's quite the dream for me to be able to play this game out for a whole match, so if such a feature was possible, it'd be very cool.

Reply 1 of 1, by hippox89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw, I was reading about programs like Aster or SoftXpand that can supposedly make a single PC run as if it was more PCs. That is, using two monitors, two keyboards, two mice, etc, but on the same PC. So, you could play multiplayer (not splitscreen) using one PC. Maybe this would make it easier to capture the entire state of two connect DosBox instances? Just a thought.