VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know i know, 'use imgmount'. But my motivating example is a bit more complex.

I want to have both the dos and scummvm versions of discworld 2 running off the same data. Normally this would be impossible since they expect the data to be named differently in different locations, and then, dos expects them in cds. However through the magic of hardlinks and mounting a dir as a cd in dosbox the data can be shared without any wasted space.

There is just one... small problem. The dirs have to be mounted on different drives - and i expect the game will not be happy about that - because the only mount command that supports 'disc change' is imgmount - even though mount recognizes that something is up if you try this:
mount d "cd1" -t cdrom -label DW2_CD1
mount d "cd2" -t cdrom -label DW2_CD2
'MSCDEX: Failure: Drive-letters of multiple CD-ROM drives have to be continous'

So it could be detected

Is there any active RFE for this feature? This is not the only game in which i expect this to happen in the future with dosbox and scummvm, for example RAMA. I think this happens with Broken Sword too.

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2015-07-30, 01:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No real game needs this 😉
Play with ScummVM with this merged data, or play with Dosbox with the images of the CDs.
Or code it yourself.

But seriously just play the game either way and don't have multiple "if I ever want to play this way or that way it woukd be most convenient to have it my way" scenarios...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 3, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for that i usually mount my real virtual CD-rom (i.e: provided by daemon tools) not the disc image directly,
so when the need to change cd, i would simply mount different img it using virtual cd interface.

-fffuuu

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why anyone would want to mess around with Daemon for DOSBox. More steps to change discs. CTRL+F4 to swap discs using imgmount. Using Daemon you have to open the browse dialog to navigate to the next image, select it and wait for it to load. Then you have to refresh the directory cache with CTRL+F4.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers