VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi There,

I am an experienced dosbox user so I can’t understand why I can’t speed up or slow down the emulator. I have a MAC and the games work fine. But it seems that the function keys aren’t working. Before you ask, yes I have set the function keys to normal in the keyboard preferences. And yes I have read the readme file and tried pressing command and control as well as F11 or F12 and none of this works.

So next I thought I would try remapping the keyboard but I can’t open the keyboard mapper. When I open dosbox and press F1 obviously it doesn’t work. So I tried typing in startmapper but it says illegal command? Then I tried -startmapper, and I get illegal command. Then I tried [-startmapper] same thing.

So Im really confused as to why I can’t use the commands as per the readme file.

The only thing I can think of is that it happened when I updated my mac to Yosemite recently because the function keys used to work? And yes I have tried holding down, Shift, Command, option, and control keys in all different sequences and nothing works.

How do I remap the keyboard in mac if the function keys aren't working.

If somebody could please help me out that would be great.

Thank you for your time,

Glenn

Reply 1 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Are you sure the keys are not assigned to some other function in OS X' keymapper? And did you try it while holding the fn key as well?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And to use startmapper you need to do that from the terminal.
/applications/dosbox.app/content/macos/dosbox -startmapper

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
glennhailstone wrote:

Before you ask, yes I have set the function keys to normal in the keyboard preferences. And yes I have read the readme file and tried pressing command and control as well as F11 or F12 and none of this works.

If your keyboard consists of the "Fn" key, have you tried to press it simultaneously?

Klimawandel.

Reply 4 of 26, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep I've tried that. As I said I set the keyboard in system preferences to normal function keys. So F1 is F1, F2 is F2 ect. I think it happened when I updated to Yosemite. Is your mac updated to Yosemite you might see the same thing. Maybe it needs a patch or update of some kind. Thanks

Reply 5 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm on Yosemite, and everything works fine.
I'll ask again, are you sure the function keys are not assigned to something else in the systems keymapper? If they are they are not available for other programs.

Reply 9 of 26, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to add a screenshot of the terminal response when I tried to type in /applications/dosbox.app/content/macos/dosbox -startmapper
I got "no such file or directory" so that doesn't work?

Reply 10 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

I was trying to add a screenshot of the terminal response when I tried to type in /applications/dosbox.app/content/macos/dosbox -startmapper
I got "no such file or directory" so that doesn't work?

Well, in your initial post with the screenshot, you forgot a bracket - typo. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 26, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Adding brackets still didn't work : ( Have you tried this? I don't think it works. If you can try it and then copy the exact text here then I will try it.

Anyway I shouldn't have to do all this. You didn't answer my question. How do I check if the function keys are assigned to something else?

Thanks

Reply 15 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Stiletto and me are two distinct persons 😉

It's contents instead of content, I'm always doing that mistake.

As for where to check for keyboard shortcuts:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13916

Out of curiosity, which version are you running and if you can't find any obvious, try the svn version linked in my signature.

Reply 16 of 26, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its working! The control key was turned off for some reason! System Preferences - keyboard - Modifier Keys. Thanks for your help. Oh yea, the mapper worked when I changed content to contents as well. But I couldn't remap the function keys that required the ctrl button to be pressed simultaneously.

Anyway it doesn't matter I found the problem with your help.

Reply 17 of 26, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
glennhailstone wrote:

Needs to end in "[/img]" - like I said, missing a "[" brace/bracket/whatever. 😉

If it makes things easier in the future, click on "Quick Reply", go to "Full Editor", then paste your image URL, select it, and click the "Img" button, it will properly place the image tags.

Or use something like Imgur which will give you properly formatted BBCode if you want.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 26, by glennhailstone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok thanks, my next question is. How do I have a quick start into my dosgames folder. So I don't have to type mount C ~ cd dosgames ect every time.
It was easy with windows, you just go to options, but with mac it seems way harder. I can't get into the config file. It says in the help I pasted below. But it doesn't say exactly how to do it.

Like what are you supposed to do with ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.74 Preferences??
=====================================
13. The configuration (options) file:
=====================================

The configuration file is automatically created the first time you run DOSBox.
The file can be found in:
(Windows) "Start/WinLogo Menu"->"All Programs"->DOSBox-0.74->Options
(Linux) ~/.dosbox/dosbox-0.74.conf
(MAC OS X) "~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.74 Preferences"
The file is divided into several sections. Each section starts with a
[section name] line. The settings are the property=value lines where value can
be altered to customize DOSBox.
# and % indicate comment-lines.

Reply 19 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

open that file with a text editor just like it happened on Windows. It's the same text file just named differently.