VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JekhoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
i am mtrying to use DosBox in order to "let survive" an old diagnostic application on my company network.
All work fine for two COM port (RS232) configured as directserial and properly working with other DTE or instrumentation devices.
The only problem is a remote communication of data to be perform with an external 56k modem.
Configuring the serial port (COM3) with the "old" configuration (Baud Rate=9600, Parity=None, Data Bits=8, Stop Bits=1, flow control= None) it seems that the application didn't retrieve the external modem without start the call with ATDT command.
If I set the COM3 as emulated modem the application retrieve the modem devices (emulated) start the call with the ATDT command and, of course, is not able to complete the action.
Modem is properly driven with AT dos command (echo AT > com3), so serial communication and modem device are ok.

My question is : which kind of operation or setup is doing the emulated modem SW in order to be detected by the application ? I would like to receive this last information in order to initialize the external "real" modem in order to be detected by the application.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards
J

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not clear exactly what you're doing. Do you have a real modem attached to COM3 which you're using in DOSBox as directserial?

You might want to try the SVN Daum version of DOSBox (or just the latest DOSBox SVN), as I believe there was a small fix made to serial port passthrough in the time since the official release of DOSBox 0.74.

You also might want to consider using the modem emulation included in DOSBox to communicate with another computer on your network. See for instance DosBox Guide to Multiplayer Games . Or is that what you're doing already? As per that link, ATDT with the emulated DOSBox modem expects an IP address.

Of course, to be sure DOSBox is only intended to work with games and support for applications is limited.

Reply 3 of 7, by JekhoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! What i am doing is to use a real 56k modem on a directserial. But i am trying to use it with a dos app,that need an external modem to setup a call and for which i don't have source code and specification. Even if i know is useless, i have configured the serial port used by the app as modem emulation : the app start the ATD command !! When I configured the same port as directserial the app doesn't setup the call (I try with dos 5 and 6.22 installation in dos box with several "mode" configuration, with several at command for modem initialization without success). So, what I am trying to understand is which kind of "initialization" the dosbox modem emulator perform, in order to allow the app to setup the call (it seems that the app Is recognising the modem...). The same initialization that I am not able to setup with the real modem connected and configured on a directserial port. I hope that now the point is clear.
Maybe the developper/s of modem emulation know the answer...

J

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JekhoOne wrote:

Even if i know is useless, i have configured the serial port used by the app as modem emulation : the app start the ATD command !! When I configured the same port as directserial the app doesn't setup the call (I try with dos 5 and 6.22 installation in dos box with several "mode" configuration, with several at command for modem initialization without success).

This seems to be a unique feature of your application. I would start by double-checking if you modem actually works in other situations. Can you use the modem to dial out in Windows, for instance?

In any case, if your software is happy with the emulated DOSBox modem, why not just use that instead? Even if there's a phone number hard-coded in the software, you might be able to replace it with a hex editor.

Reply 5 of 7, by JekhoOne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

This seems to be a unique feature of your application. I would start by double-checking if you modem actually works in other situations. Can you use the modem to dial out in Windows, for instance?

It could be really strange but is the reality . External modem work in window (seven) environment (in old IT infrastructure) performing properly calls and exchanging data flow and inside ods box through echo AT commands sent directly to the device.

JekhoOne wrote:

In any case, if your software is happy with the emulated DOSBox modem, why not just use that instead? Even if there's a phone number hard-coded in the software, you might be able to replace it with a hex editor.

Mmm... i can't. It is needed to install on the other side (server one) another DosBox emulation with a ethernet GTW able to translate physical and logical protocol. To tough solution. I need only to understand how to let the App recognize the external modem sending ATDT command as in emulation modem mode...

Reply 6 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JekhoOne wrote:

It could be really strange but is the reality . External modem work in window (seven) environment (in old IT infrastructure) performing properly calls and exchanging data flow and inside ods box through echo AT commands sent directly to the device.

Okay, what about other DOS terminal programs? The popular Terminate, for instance? Can you use those to dial out from DOSBox? Do they recognize the modem, specifically with the settings you mentioned before (Baud Rate=9600, Parity=None, Data Bits=8, Stop Bits=1, flow control= None) ?

It also might be useful to see if inserting the "rxdelay" parameter in DOSBox.conf helps at all.

JekhoOne wrote:

Mmm... i can't. It is needed to install on the other side (server one) another DosBox emulation with a ethernet GTW able to translate physical and logical protocol.

I'm not sure what you mean by "able to translate physical and logical protocol". Any Internet connection will do.